Panelboards as a raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockedby277v

I am in debate with my boss over panels being used as a raceway. Here is my situation. My job is under the 2011 code. I have a 208/120 distribution. From the distribution i have 2 - nipples coming into a 208/120 panel tub (panel A) which is then nippled into another 208/120 panel tub (panel B). So where the debate comes into play is my panel B feeders pass though panel A. He is knocking me down saying I can't use a panel as a raceway and I am saying I can as long as I meet the requirements ... My problem is the 2008 and 2011 has changed under the panelboard section (408). Looking for some ammunition

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
However you are arguing with the guy who pays you.

Don't argue, just point out the code section that allows it.
I also point out that from what I have read on this forum those percentages (40% & 75%) are almost impossible to exceed.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
FWIW, I'm in your bosses corner.

if you worked for me, I wouldnt let you do it that way either.

Although not a code violation, I not a fan of running a feeder for a panel through another one unless I just had to, but that's just me.
I'm not a fan of running a pipe out of the side of a main panel (over or underneith) the first panel to get to the 2nd one either. That just tends to get in the way.

If it were my job and you worked for me I would of let you know we were going to install a gutter over or under the 2 panels so we could get the feeders to the subpanels and allow room for branch circuits out if need be, before you got as far as you did.

JAP>

liquidtite

FWIW, I'm in your bosses corner.

if you worked for me, I wouldnt let you do it that way either.

Although not a code violation, I not a fan of running a feeder for a panel through another one unless I just had to, but that's just me.
I'm not a fan of running a pipe out of the side of a main panel (over or underneith) the first panel to get to the 2nd one either. That just tends to get in the way.

If it were my job and you worked for me I would of let you know we were going to install a gutter over or under the 2 panels so we could get the feeders to the subpanels and allow room for branch circuits out if need be, before you got as far as you did.

JAP>

I like that install but pulling feeders into gutters can be a pain if their large feeders.
Instead of pulling the feeders into a cabinet and then nippiling panel to panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.