outlet for EV charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been asked to install a receptacle for a EV charger. The unit vague spec's call for a 40 amp circuit and breaker draws 10kw . They want a 50 amp range outlet.

However the building dept says size for 125%.
I get 52 amps. If i use # 6 NM will this work?

Thanks

growler

Looking at 625.13 ( 2011nec) it appears I am not allowed to install a receptacle it must be hard wired.

Am I reading this correctly?
My next question is how can these companies sell this for home installs.

The 240V charger ( which isn't really a charger because all charging is done inside the vehicle) must be secured. You can still use a cord and plug. The owner can order one with a cord attached or you can install your own cord. It would actually be easier to hard wire but people like the idea of being able to take their charger (charging station) when they move.

When they say secured the manufacturer normally will furnish some nice big lag bolts. When not in use the charging cord will wrap around the station.

That 120V version they are talking about is nothing more than a glorified extension cord. You can take it with you ( steal power at your friend's house if he had an outside receptacle).

The actual current draw is not as high as you would expect so a 40 amp breaker works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.