Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding a separate ground wire for dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    He might want to see if this is actually a local amendment vs something the inspector "wants"
    Agreed. And kwired, could be, tho many use AHJ and inspector interchangeably when they really arent. I see nothing wrong with using three wire ranges and dryers, within the provision of 250.140. There are literally millions of homes that have them installed, with aluminum wire SE cable) at that, with no problems.

Here, if you move the receptacle, it is no longer "existing", and then you don't meet 250.140. Changing a main panel into a subpanel would require a 4 wire feed to both ranges and dryers.

Unless, like electrofelon wrote, this is a local amendment in the original posters area, I would definitely fight this one.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Maybe I missed it........ but what wiring method is currently being used to supply the dryer?
    Curt Swartz
    Electrical Contractor

We extended a 3-wire circuit the other day for a 4-wire oven. Last I checked the sun still came up and went down.

Quote Originally Posted by curt swartz View Post
    Maybe I missed it........ but what wiring method is currently being used to supply the dryer?
    Don't think it was really mentioned - but most likely is safe to presume NM or SE cable.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by curt swartz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Don't think it was really mentioned - but most likely is safe to presume NM or SE cable.
    OP said 10-2
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    OP said 10-2
    Actuaally he said the water heater next to it he would like to connect the EGC to is supplied with 10-2, NM cable.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

I agree NEC doesn't require the change - but I think he is saying they have a local rule that says it must be changed if the service is upgraded. IMO, dumb rule. NEC allowing these three wire circuits (at least as long as they did) was dumb as well though. This is a little like buying an older car but a local authority says you must equip it with current model year required safety features or you can't drive it on a public road.
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    He might want to see if this is actually a local amendment vs something the inspector "wants"
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Agreed. And kwired, could be, tho many use AHJ and inspector interchangeably when they really arent. I see nothing wrong with using three wire ranges and dryers, within the provision of 250.140. There are literally millions of homes that have them installed, with aluminum wire SE cable) at that, with no problems.

Here, if you move the receptacle, it is no longer "existing", and then you don't meet 250.140. Changing a main panel into a subpanel would require a 4 wire feed to both ranges and dryers.

Unless, like electrofelon wrote, this is a local amendment in the original posters area, I would definitely fight this one.
    Yes, this is a local rule. I've never actually spoken to the chief electrical inspector about it, but multiple underlings have said this is true. I think I will have to call and ask the chief just to be sure.

The water heater is wired with modern orange 10-2 NM. The dryer is currently wired with 3-wire, no ground, cloth covered cable (also NM I believe).

Anybody have an answer to the question in post 7?

Actuaally he said the water heater next to it he would like to connect the EGC to is supplied with 10-2, NM cable.
    Actually, you have too may vowels in actually
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!