Thread: Protector on Bushing?

Protector on Bushing?

See image above for reference.

It is my understanding that whether there is conduit installed or not, that any time a 4 AWG wire or larger goes through a connector such as this there is supposed to be a plastic protective bushing installed unless the connector is designed to offer equal protection and is listed for such.

Can I get confirmation on this? I'm getting some push back saying that no bushing/protector is required.

I do not think the bonding wire for the CSST that is passing through the same opening is a problem, but if it is let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousHomeInspector View Post

See image above for reference.

It is my understanding that whether there is conduit installed or not, that any time a 4 AWG wire or larger goes through a connector such as this there is supposed to be a plastic protective bushing installed unless the connector is designed to offer equal protection and is listed for such.

Can I get confirmation on this? I'm getting some push back saying that no bushing/protector is required.

I do not think the bonding wire for the CSST that is passing through the same opening is a problem, but if it is let me know.

Thank you in advance.
    Have to look to get you a code section - but pretty certain that bushing rule only applies to raceway wiring methods - your picture is a cable method and cable connector.

Though I personally don't have a problem with the extra ground conductor in the connector - I don't think your fitting will be listed for that combination and most inspectors would reject it on 110.3(B).

ADD: the section you are looking for is 300.4(G) and I still stand behind what I mentioned earlier.

That section starts off with "Where raceways contain 4 AWG or larger insulated circuit conductors..."
    Last edited by kwired; 05-15-18 at 09:57 PM.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Have to look to get you a code section - but pretty certain that bushing rule only applies to raceway wiring methods - your picture is a cable method and cable connector.

Though I personally don't have a problem with the extra ground conductor in the connector - I don't think your fitting will be listed for that combination and most inspectors would reject it on 110.3(B).

ADD: the section you are looking for is 300.4(G) and I still stand behind what I mentioned earlier.

That section starts off with "Where raceways contain 4 AWG or larger insulated circuit conductors..."
    My question is then with the definition of a raceway being "An enclosed channel of metallic or nonmetallic materials designed expressly for holding wires, cables, or bus-bars, with additional functions as permitted in this Code."

Is the clamp at the panel entry not an enclosed channel for holding cables?

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousHomeInspector View Post
    My question is then with the definition of a raceway being "An enclosed channel of metallic or nonmetallic materials designed expressly for holding wires, cables, or bus-bars, with additional functions as permitted in this Code."

Is the clamp at the panel entry not an enclosed channel for holding cables?
    Yes it is, but is not a raceway or raceway fitting - it is a cable fitting. Raceways you have the option of installing any conductor (that will fit per fill requirements) you want. A cable assembly has fixed conductors within it.

Also see the informational note after that definition (in 2014 NEC anyway) - raceways are identified within specific articles definitions

SE cable, which is what you appear to have there, is not a raceway.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

SE cable clamps are not raceways so no bushing is required. The green conductor through there is not code compliant.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted