is conduit even required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhumbliner

I'm planning on installing a 14-50 surface mount outlet inside my garage. my electrical panel is a surface mount panel about 15' away so I will have a short run of NM-B 6-3 romex along the surface of (not inside) the wall.

my question is this: "do I need to run this wire inside some type of conduit?". the reason I ask is Home Depot's website says "May be used for both exposed and concealed work in normally dry locations".

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-125-ft-Black-6-3-Romex-NM-B-W-G-Wire-63950002/202316279

I thought conduit is always required but this description makes it sound as if it's not.

tia

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.