Thread: service bonding and grounding 101 ??

service bonding and grounding 101 ??

Hello......
    Confirming the requirements for a 100 amp single phase 3 wire dwelling service.

as per 250.50 through 250.104

This home has a well.

Should all I be required to do is run a #6 cu to two ground rods and bond metal water piping with #6.

If so, to confirm even if it was a 200 amp service that would still be the same requirement?

Thank you
    " I'm at a crucial part of my painting "...........Monika Danneman

assuming your 200 amp service would be 2/0Cu or 4/0 AL service conductors, the water would be #4 (250.66 if its an electrode, 250.102 if all you are doing is bonding.. same numbers)
    Grounds rod are never required by NEC to be larger than #6 Cu although POCO may require larger.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    assuming your 200 amp service would be 2/0Cu or 4/0 AL service conductors, the water would be #4
    Grounds rod are never required by NEC to be larger than #6 Cu although POCO may require larger.
    yes........ water pipe bonding sized to grounding electrode conductor size... thank you

It is rare that you have a metallic pipe run to the well, but since you mentioned it, 250.52(A)(1) does have a requirement for well casing when metallic piping is installed.;
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    It is rare that you have a metallic pipe run to the well, but since you mentioned it, 250.52(A)(1) does have a requirement for well casing when metallic piping is installed.;
    grounding electrode......... got it.......... thank you !!!!

Keep in mind most new domestic wells use non metallic casing - but only top few feet below grade are metallic for physical abuse protection reasons. Often that top part is actually a "pitless adapter" for the water line. If it isn't a qualifying electrode it only needs bonded to the EGC of the pump supply circuit.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.