Fault current

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I have MHs fault current spreadsheet plus my own I made years ago. They compare with the answers given.

Competitor called yesterday with a question on a delta configuration. (I sent him on to the correct POCO contact)

He has three transformers and the POCO rep he talked to originally gave him the impedance of each. 50 KVA =1.9, 25 KVA =1.01, and 25 KVA =1.5.

What is the impedance I should use for my calculations, or is this where the limits of our relatively simple SSs become apparent?

Fitzdrew516

I have MHs fault current spreadsheet plus my own I made years ago. They compare with the answers given.

Competitor called yesterday with a question on a delta configuration. (I sent him on to the correct POCO contact)

He has three transformers and the POCO rep he talked to originally gave him the impedance of each. 50 KVA =1.9, 25 KVA =1.01, and 25 KVA =1.5.

What is the impedance I should use for my calculations, or is this where the limits of our relatively simple SSs become apparent?

That's a great question. I guess theoretically you could calculate it out, but if I were you I'd use the lowest impedance as a worst case scenario, especially because the impedances are close.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
For equivalent 3-phase transformer I would use 75KVA, Z = 1.14%.

I have to be honest though, I let ETAP convert the 1-phase numbers. Could have done it myself but I like technology. :D

jumper

You have two 25 KVA. Is one 15kVA?

kwired

Electron manager
You have two 25 KVA. Is one 15kVA?

High leg delta systems with unequal sized pots is more common to see a large pot for the 120/240 side of the delta which likely is more heavily loaded and smaller pot(s) to derive the high leg, which may have more limited load.

Carultch

High leg delta systems with unequal sized pots is more common to see a large pot for the 120/240 side of the delta which likely is more heavily loaded and smaller pot(s) to derive the high leg, which may have more limited load.

What is a "pot" in transformer vocabulary?

Carultch

Some call them "pole mounted pigs"

Basically an individual unit that is single phase in - single phase out but they may use multiple units to build a multiphase bank.

So it's one of those "buckets" up on the utility poles. And what it really is, is the enclosure that houses each pair of windings.

kwired

Electron manager
So it's one of those "buckets" up on the utility poles. And what it really is, is the enclosure that houses each pair of windings.
Well AFAIK it is a slang term and the meaning could vary, but most cases I believe that is what it is intended to mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.