Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Meter base change out

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    manteo NC
    Posts
    11
    We are required to pull a permit for a meter base replacement. The poco supplies the meter base but wont re install a meter without an inspection. It usually takes 1-2 weeks to get the poco to schedule a drop service. Typically we replace the meter, overhead if it has one and install 2 ground rods. As long as we don't touch the load side cable, just reconnect it we don't have to install a disconnect and all that. Seems fair to me. We can't rewire the house just because the poco equipment failed. I am for safety and doing things correctly , just seems like a stretch.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,753
    Quote Originally Posted by cknight View Post
    1980's house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    I am not sure when smoke detectors became required, and some GFI's were required when the house was built.

    You would have to know what code cycle that area was useing when the house was built to determine if GFCIs were required. Early 1980s probably not.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    883
    I had this same thing happen to me in the city of Surprise (Arizona). Replaced a 200A O/H service on a home. Called inspection in and promptly failed because there were no smokies in the house. Made a deal with the HO. He paid for the material (marked up) and I installed them for (labor) free, lesson learned.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    manteo NC
    Posts
    11
    Smokes and gfi's are no big deal. But requiring you to install a new 4 wire, add disconnect and separate grounds and neutrals can be a serious undertaking on some houses.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    22,742
    I believe the "request" is ridiculous and should be challenged. A specific code section violation should be spelled out in any inspection failure.

    In this case, not just the code sections, but where it says that, despite conforming when installed, must now be brought to current requirements.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •