Running power 4000 feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Correct, but coming from a hypothetical (theoretical) place. If conductors and switches can legally handle a 600 volt corner grounded system, why can't they handle a center grounded 1kv system where the phase to ground voltage is only 500 volts?

Why can't you design within the system as others can?

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
It's pointless bc this whole thing is purely hypothetical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADub

Occupation
I find the topic very interesting and valuable. Many times i have gotten a job and made good money because of out of the box thinking and coming up with a better more efficient design than the other guy.

Congrats

ADub

Occupation
Yet you continue to comment on this... :blink:

I just think it's funny that you created this thread under the guise that it was a real world situation and not just something you wanted to have a conversation about. And I will comment on it as often or not as I wish.

Correct, but coming from a hypothetical (theoretical) place. If conductors and switches can legally handle a 600 volt corner grounded system, why can't they handle a center grounded 1kv system where the phase to ground voltage is only 500 volts?

I think we can do that for bi-polar PV systems. One would think that in general if we had 600V conductors, we could go up to 600V to ground, and 1200V between ungrounded conductors.

Tony S

OK I’m going to come clean on this.

This is actually a job I’m doing in the UK and I asked Mr Brook what the NIC stance would be to my proposal. If I asked for myself I would get ignored or derided as per usual by a certain moderator. You all ignored the drawing showing US voltages, that’s your choice.

I didn’t think the thread would escalate as it has even though I kept throwing facts in and asking questions about specifications which were studiously ignored.

Now if has been said, you want this to continue then I’m more than willing as an exchange of ideas.

This project doesn’t fall under BS7671 but BS7430-2011COP. Where the 850V supply has different disconnection time requirements.

It is a genuine project that I’m designing and costing simply due to our DNO (PoCo) wanting far too much cash for a basic supply. So far I’ve got it in for under ½ the DNO price.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I think we can do that for bi-polar PV systems. One would think that in general if we had 600V conductors, we could go up to 600V to ground, and 1200V between ungrounded conductors.
Between ungrounded conductors of a grounded system, yes.

You would think that, but there is a specific provision in the code that for ungrounded systems the operating voltage shall be considered to be the maximum voltage between conductors while for grounded systems it will instead be the maximum voltage between any one conductor and ground.
So even though there are two layers of insulation between the two 600V conductors in the ungrounded system you are still limited to the single voltage rating of the insulation.
So, somewhat unexpectedly, 600-0 and 600-0-600 are both OK with 600V wire but remove the ground on the center tap of the second system and you have to use 1200V wire instead.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I just think it's funny that you created this thread under the guise that it was a real world situation and not just something you wanted to have a conversation about. And I will comment on it as often or not as I wish.

Then please add something constructive :thumbsup:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Thats what I was thinking, its phase to ground that matters, not phase to phase in theory.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Between ungrounded conductors of a grounded system, yes.

You would think that, but there is a specific provision in the code that for ungrounded systems the operating voltage shall be considered to be the maximum voltage between conductors while for grounded systems it will instead be the maximum voltage between any one conductor and ground.
So even though there are two layers of insulation between the two 600V conductors in the ungrounded system you are still limited to the single voltage rating of the insulation.
So, somewhat unexpectedly, 600-0 and 600-0-600 are both OK with 600V wire but remove the ground on the center tap of the second system and you have to use 1200V wire instead.

I suspect that the rationale is that a single accidental ground which will not by itself cause immediate problems would out the other side at high voltage to ground.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Hello, can you provide an NEC citation for the above?

Thanks, Wayne

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I suspect that the rationale is that a single accidental ground which will not by itself cause immediate problems would out the other side at high voltage to ground.

True, but only if the system is unearthed, a solid center ground will clear an OCPD preventing an elevated phase to ground voltage.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Referring back to post #116....

So are you home yet? :)

Thanks, Wayne

Funny thing, I am home now!

Try Article 100, Definitions (underlining mine):

Voltage to Ground. For grounded circuits, the voltage between the given conductor and that point or conductor of the circuit that is grounded; for ungrounded circuits, the greatest voltage between the given conductor and any other conductor of the circuit.

I just extended that by assuming that the insulation for a conductor must be rated equal to or higher than the voltage to ground of that conductor. I did not search for that part though.

I often look all over the code for a particular provision and then unexpectedly find it in the definitions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.