How to distribute the load in a dwelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Now that we have our own thread I will say this.

To me this topic is ridiculous, worthless, meaningless.

It's a house, nothing is that critical, circuits overlap, areas have undefined boundaries.

I am out if this. :D

This I agree with:thumbsup: But the code is even worse on this issue. It is beyond ridiculous. It still says, "This load
shall be evenly proportioned among multioutlet branch circuits
within the panelboard(s)."

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Now that we have our own thread I will say this.

To me this topic is ridiculous, worthless, meaningless.

It's a house, nothing is that critical, circuits overlap, areas have undefined boundaries.

I am out if this. :D

:roll:

Granted you do commercial work, however when doing a code minimum job its important to know what will pass and what will not.

iwire

Staff member
This I agree with:thumbsup: But the code is even worse on this issue. It is beyond ridiculous. It still says, "This load

It also says the maximum load that can be supplied by a circuit while at the same time allowing multi receptacle circuits.

I tend to ignore the clearly unenforceable.

480sparky

Nothing until you do the math. Adding an extra circuit was not an issue (back then), but when you factor in $45 per breaker and no MWBC running the minimum amount of circuits codes requires becomes attractive.

3 va/ft² has zip to do with dwelling branch circuits. That number only has to do with service calculations, not how to break up branch circuits.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This is from section 220. 1 15 amp circuit feeding 45 receptacles and the other 3 feeding 3 receptacles is not my idea of evenly proportioned.
To know that you would have to know what loads are going to be plugged in and where they are going to be plugged in.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The receptacle is not the LOAD.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The exact wording has a bearing on the example given of three single receptacle hall circuits and one circuit for all the other receptacle in the house:
The three hall receptacles, not being multioutlet branch circuits, do not enter into the calculation at all. So almost everything on one multioutlet circuit would in fact be perfectly balanced.
Or else that provision is implicitly saying that no part of the general load can ever be on a single outlet circuit.

nizak

FWIW.
I generally separate my lighting from my receptacles.As a general rule, 8/10 openings on a 15A circuit, 13 or so on a 20A.

In kitchens I stagger circuits. If there are multiple receptacles for instance on a counter top space every other one is on a different circuit.

Garage- 2 20 amp
Small Appliance- 3 20 amp
Bathrooms- 2 receptacles max per circuit.
Laundry- 1-20 amp in addition to the dedicated 20 amp. Steamer, iron, etc.
Micro- 1-20 amp

This would be for a new build spec home. In 20+ years of residential wiring I can only remember once being called back for insufficient circuit capacity.

Owner had 3 or 4 dehumidifiers plugged in after a water issue in a finished basement area.

Pretty hard to foresee and make provisions for a situation like that.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
It will pass regardless, if you actully wired homes and had inspections you would know this. :D

And years ago I with other got away with 3 wire sub-panels in condominiums with a meter pack (disconnect) outside, hood on the SABC, #14 to the dinning room, ect. Just because one inspector gives pass or fail, it does not mean the NEC views it the same way. I am at this point where I want to know the reasoning behind what I was taught.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
3 va/ft² has zip to do with dwelling branch circuits. That number only has to do with service calculations, not how to break up branch circuits.

So your saying I can wire an entire 5000 square foot home with only 1 15 amp general use branch circuit?

iwire

Staff member
But that is what he is implying, or at least can only be deduced. 3va is used to de-rive the minimum number of general use circuits for a dwelling.

No not in the least, go back and read what he actually typed.

Is English your first language?:huh:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
No not in the least, go back and read what he actually typed.

Is English your first language?:huh:

No :lol: :happysad:

But my point is I brought up 3va because that is used to determine the minimum number of general use circuits in a dwelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.