Light required in attic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Are all attics considered 'storage' spaces, ? At least it has a ceiling height high enough for a person to walk in (the center only). There's a code debate that is being had on whether a light is required or not.

If the framing is not rated or set up for storage I would say no.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Are all attics considered 'storage' spaces, ? At least it has a ceiling height high enough for a person to walk in (the center only). .
No, absolutely not. Attic is a ill defined term that has different meanings based on region and era of construction just for starters. Type of access, total sq feet, type of construction- trussed or framed,........

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have seen stuff stored in every type of attic. We just install a light in every attic and it is a non issue. To be honest I never thought of an attic as non storage. If it has access it general it will have storage but I can see that some would be very difficult to access. I guess it can be an authority having jurisdiction call but I tend to agree with Bob if there is no flooring then it is not designed for storage. It because a "What If" situation.

I install the light more for us when we have work uo there. It is also good if you need power later. If the switch is downstairs we run a 3 wire up to the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.