Thread: Recessed Mounted Panel

Recessed Mounted Panel

Anyone happen to have pics of one mounted prior to wall being installed? Would like to see it mounted to studs etc. Thanks.

You mean like these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8010012.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	20373 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	many-holes-above-panels-50ppi1.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	20374
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Thanks Larry. Thought strut was sometimes used for recessed in commercial application.....not sure why it would be used if one could just attached to studs.

A lot of variables... pictured, I believe, are load centers which fit most residential stud spacing and depth.
    Commercial panelboards are often wider and deeper and stud centers vary. Strut is not uncommon on commercial.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

We mount the commercial panels on strut all of the time before the wall goes up. Usually the carpenter will layout the floor track and we'll use that to get our measurements. We'll allow 5/8" or 1 1/4" past the edge of the track depending on whether it's one or two layers of Sheetrock. Not sure if I have any photo's.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Thanks Larry. Thought strut was sometimes used for recessed in commercial application.....not sure why it would be used if one could just attached to studs.
    Wall details are a big key in what you may or may not be able to do.

If you are mounting a panel before the wall is built around it you need something other then the wall to mount it on, as well as accurate details of where the wall will be located so you place it in the right position.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.