Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bumper Boat Power for Chargers

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    Wouldn't those cords be considered 'subject to physical damage' being on a walkway? Limited access or not, they are likely to be stepped on.
    it seems to me they are not part of the installation.

I think they should be handled as shore power cords would be BUT I think that would be covered under the marina article and this is clearly not a marina.

ETA: I changed my mind. I think the way 555.1 is written means article 555 applies to this situation.
    Last edited by petersonra; 05-20-18 at 02:32 PM.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsparky View Post
    720.11 (or 110.12) neat and workmanlike manner. It's a stretch for me to say that the electrician is responsible for the charger's cords. But, obvious trip and other hazards can result from the electrician's choices. Considering teenage employees, a trip hazard and that an unconscious person can drown in two inches of water, an inspector can be confident his decision to fail it won't be overturned.
    An inspector cannot fail something because he does not like the way it was done. He has to find an actual code violation. It is doubtful that the workmanlike manner clause is enforceable given it is so vague.
    Bob

One could run fixed wiring to make the amount of cord needed less - but not many ways to do this installation without needing some length of cord. if you made it as short as possible, when connected to the boat may not be a trip hazard, when not connected to the boat it could lay on the deck and become trip hazard anyway.

Cords get stepped on a lot in many applications. The more likely it will get abuse the more it needs to be heavy or extra heavy usage cord.

When the place is in heavy use those cords likely are not laying across the deck, hard to plug a boat in when it isn't going to be there.

Want to eliminate trip hazard altogether, build some sort of overhead structure and drop pendants at each boat location.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Let me try to answer some of the questions posted.
    • The cord attached to each boat is 13' long and is made with either #10 SO or SJO cord.(see photo 2).
    • There is a "stop" inside the boat that will not allow it to come out any further then designed.
    • The power supply has no nameplate rating label on the outside. I did not open to check inside. This is what the back of the unit looks like. I believe the red and black wires are at least # 10's. I'll have to check when I get back there :

• I'm getting conflicting reports as to what the charger actually draws while charging. When I spoke to the boat company sales rep on the phone he said they draw 8A each and we could connect two chargers to one receptacle. I opened up a charger unit at the camp and a data sheet indicated that each unit draws 9A. Now connecting two units is a push. I found an on-line spec sheet for the unit and it states that it draws 6A. I guess I'm not going to know until I actually plug one of these units in and clip on an amp probe.

I'm not sure what Code violations the EI has seen in the other camp's installation and I won't know until tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
    ... The power supply has no nameplate rating label on the outside. I did not open to check inside. This is what the back of the unit looks like. I believe the red and black wires are at least # 10's. I'll have to check when I get back there :

I was having a complete brain fart yesterday. The electrician's responsibility ends at the receptacle. This unit and it's plugs, cords and wires are completely under the purview of whatever NRTL tested it. It is outside the scope of the NEC and not under the jurisdiction of the EIs. Just to keep things simple, I'd keep all the chargers out of sight until the inspector(s) give final approval.

Just for kicks and giggles, here's a link to the Fun Parts Express catalog. (Nothing implied, no affiliation.) Page 38 has a fiberglass pedestal enclosure made for these chargers.
    http://www.funpartsxpress.com/wp-con...guide-2018.pdf
    Half of all doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class.

I was having a complete brain fart yesterday. The electrician's responsibility ends at the receptacle. This unit and it's plugs, cords and wires are completely under the purview of whatever NRTL tested it. It is outside the scope of the NEC and not under the jurisdiction of the EIs. Just to keep things simple, I'd keep all the chargers out of sight until the inspector(s) give final approval.

Just for kicks and giggles, here's a link to the Fun Parts Express catalog. (Nothing implied, no affiliation.) Page 38 has a fiberglass pedestal enclosure made for these chargers.
    I can agree with that.

Well, I met with the EI and we came to a fair and reasonable decision. The chargers will be housed in an enclosure similar to the ones in photo # 4 at the water park. We haven't designed and built them yet but I'm thinking they should house two chargers each. From that housing I plan to run a # 10-3 S/O cord in flex PVC (for each boat) to a post or railing at dock-side (about 15' away) and into a 1-gang PVC FS box mounted at least 2' above the water line. The FS box will house a 30A, 2-pole disconnect switch with a weatherproof cover. Out of the FS box will be a short S/O cord with the mated blue connector shown in the charger photo.

In short, the EI's concern was that the photos showing the charger connections laying on the dock at the other camp posed a shock hazard, even though they are 24 VDC. In addition, making up extensions with landscape wire was not acceptable. We agreed that connecting the bumper boats to a charger circuit should be at least 2' above the water line of the lake.

We managed to charge a few boats the other day just to test them out. I discovered that the charger will not activate until it senses the battery. Once it senses that the battery is fully charged it shuts off automatically. So, some safety features are built into these units. Someone put some thought into this way ahead of time. I'm just surprised that there were no UL stickers anywhere on the chargers.

Thank you all for your input on this.

I believe this is the company that the boats and chargers were purchased from.

This looks like the right product to be using, definitely the way to go in this instance.

My question that is sort of off topic is how long do these run before needing recharged and how long does it take to recharge from fully discharged state?

If I were a water park operator, having the electric models does impress those that are concerned about how "green" you are, but if you are open for 12 or even 16 hours at a time and are really busy - how often will you be sitting there waiting for them to charge? If you start the day off with them all fully charged, you can expect most of them will be completely discharged at roughly the same time if they are all in use at same time. Traditional gasoline powered bumper boats are restored to action in minutes when they run out of fuel.