Use of EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We see 3/4" minimum in spec's too but there is no code prohibition from using 1/2" EMT in NYC.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
1/2" EMT or all EMT?

I have seen specs that call for all conduits to be 3/4", crazy IMO.

1/2" EMT.

Over the years I have heard several reasons for this including that 3/4" EMT is actually less expensive than 1/2" EMT, and that the pulling tension exerted on small wires in 1/2" EMT stresses them too much (usually the smallest wire the same specs allow to be pulled is #12). I don't know the real answer but it is pretty common in specs I see.

KarlG

Nope. Who told you that? :slaphead:

Welcome to the Forum. :)

i had a job interview and a project manager of that company told me that in NYC it is a code violation to install 1/2" EMT and so if i do it, it will not pass inspection. i could not argue because i am not 100% sure. it may be DOB requirement or it is NEC specific.

darekelec

1/2" EMT is allowed and used in NYC but it is not allowed on any city, governmental, institutional project.
when you work on Schools, subways, housing projects, etc. you can't use 1/2" EMT or RMC.
did you apply for work in company that does city projects?
maybe the manager meant EMT for fire alarm.

KarlG

1/2" EMT is allowed and used in NYC but it is not allowed on any city, governmental, institutional project.
when you work on Schools, subways, housing projects, etc. you can't use 1/2" EMT or RMC.
did you apply for work in company that does city projects?
maybe the manager meant EMT for fire alarm.

i was talking about my experiences with EMT bending and i stated that i do mostly residential projects and i did not have any problems with passing inspections while using 1/2" EMT then the response was that how i could use 1/2" EMT since it is not Allowed within NYCity limits. I know that city facilities have more strict rules as to the safety. that's why i think it is DOB requirement to use 3/4" EMT in "large scale" projects. i wonder if there is any code reference.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
i was talking about my experiences with EMT bending and i stated that i do mostly residential projects and i did not have any problems with passing inspections while using 1/2" EMT then the response was that how i could use 1/2" EMT since it is not Allowed within NYCity limits. I know that city facilities have more strict rules as to the safety. that's why i think it is DOB requirement to use 3/4" EMT in "large scale" projects. i wonder if there is any code reference.

You are correct, the person who made the statement in bold is flat out wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.