Reasons for Electronic Grade Panelboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

h20darrah

I am working on a job that is requiring Electronic Grade Panelboards on panels that have IDF Racks on the Panel Schedule, but also cover general room receptacles within the same panel. Should these loads be on the same Panel? What is the reasoning for putting Standard loads mixed in with IDF rack loads? does this defeat the purpose?

OK, I'll bite- what's an "Electronic Grade Panelboard"? I'm not familiar with that term and google doesn't bring up much about it. (It appears they might be a panel with build-in harmonic filters or TVSS, but it's not clear.)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I agree the term isn't clear. If I search for "electronic grade panelboard", I get a few questionable links, and this thread:)

But if we assume its one or more of Schneider's suggestions (TVSS, Krated, or 200% neutral), I don't see any harm in putting general purpose receptacles on the same panel.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I am working on a job that is requiring Electronic Grade Panelboards on panels that have IDF Racks on the Panel Schedule, but also cover general room receptacles within the same panel. Should these loads be on the same Panel? What is the reasoning for putting Standard loads mixed in with IDF rack loads? does this defeat the purpose?

It appears you work in CA . Depending on your project , under the current energy code you will be required to segregate loads into separate panels. Lighting only, Receptacle loads only, HVAC only, etc...
This becomes effective in new buildings 50KVA.
Also a watt hour meter that can show instantaneous usage and cumulative and be resettable by the Building owner. The utility company meter may not be acceptable.

h20darrah

Wrote an exemption request and had it removed from this particular section. This is a design assist job so they are still working out all the kinks. Thanks for the info everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.