Thread: UL listing requirements

UL listing requirements

Does a motor running off an 18v D/C power supply have to be UL listed? This motor has many parts so I guess I’m asking,
    1. Does it need to be Ul listed?
    2 If so where does the listing stop. It has a head on the end used to turn a tube. It’s encased in heavy duty plastic as well.
    I thought a 24 volt D/C system and lower did not need a UL listing. My power supply is 120v a/c input with 18v output to a motor less than 1/4 horsepower. In fact you can stop the motor by hand. I have looked everywhere in the NEC and could not find a definitive answer. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Sorry I meant to say 18v D/C output

I don't believe the NEC requires Motors to be listed at all except maybe in classified areas. Not even really sure about that. Sounds to me like the motor is part of something else in which case a recognized motor would probably be appropriate but that would come from the manufacturer of the equipment.
    Bob

Thank you for your input

UL listing

I do have a CE listing on the motor but that comes from Europe. We are supposed to be able to use that but the NEC is open for interpretation by the local Inspector.
    I’m not on the job site but something set him off. A low voltage company was doing the installation and the inspector told them to tear it all out and call a licensed electrician.

Quote Originally Posted by beerkeit View Post
    I do have a CE listing on the motor but that comes from Europe. We are supposed to be able to use that but the NEC is open for interpretation by the local Inspector.
    I’m not on the job site but something set him off. A low voltage company was doing the installation and the inspector told them to tear it all out and call a licensed electrician.
    CE is not a listing. It doesn't mean anything in the United States anyway. It is hard to know what set him off but probably because the low voltage installer is not authorized to install that kind of equipment. I think in most places what you are calling a low voltage installer can only install things like telephone cable and other similar circuits.
    Bob

NEC does not require motors to be listed except for hazardous locations. Your question is perhaps more appropriate for UL than the NEC.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    NEC does not require motors to be listed except for hazardous locations. Your question is perhaps more appropriate for UL than the NEC.
    501.125(A) and (B) motors only have to be 'identified' for Class I, Divisions 1 or 2. They don't have to be UL listed - but you'd be hard pressed not to find a listing, especially for Division 1.

Thank you for the info everyone. It helped me verify what I was thinking but couldn’t nail Down. Thanks again for your time and input regarding my topic