User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local electrical associations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local electrical associations

Just wondering. Do the majority of you all have local electrical contractors association? We don't. If so how is participation? Seems like a good thing to me but doesn't seem to be well received in my area.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This internet forum is the closest thing to an electrical association that I am a part of. It would be a good thing to have a local group, but we are all to busy working.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Among other things it has potential for issues with collusion between contractors.
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last time I was a member of one of those organizations I was a journeyman and my boss paid membership fees. We used to go to CEU classes they would organize was one of the things we got out of it.

Can be good for a group with something in common to come together, they can lobby law makers, present a unified front for or against something the inspection department wants to do, etc. Sort of also means that members will be potential officers of the organization or on different committees at times and not everyone wants to put in that extra effort.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a member of the NCAEC-- NC Association of Electrical Contractors. We meet once a month at the local fire station and we have anywhere from 15-20 regulars.... We take 2 months off in the summer (July and August)

NCAEC.org

Terry Cromer runs the organization and there are chapters throughout the state. Looks like the closest to you is Morehead- Carteret County division. See divisions here http://ncaec.org/about-us/ncaec-nort...ina-divisions/

Nothing is close to Manteo---haha
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    Among other things it has potential for issues with collusion between contractors.
    What?

Do you have any examples of this?
    I was in the IEC for 30 years...we have apprenticeship training, continuing education. CEU classes, fishing tournaments, picnics, business seminars, vendor memberships...etc. etc

We would communicate when someone needs manpower help to loan out men or help out using men when someone hit a slump.

All of these members were friends and associates.......AND my competition.......zero collusion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am one of four intructors that give seminars to a local electrical contractor association. They have dinners once a month where they can pick up an hour credit towards their CEU's requirements. There is generally also a presentation from a local supply house touting a new technology or product. They address issues that have come up or ask technical question, it appears to me to be very helpful and popular enough that they have 3 chapters and generally twenty some to forty some people at each dinner.
    Rick Napier
    Inspector and Instructor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RICK NAPIER View Post
    I am one of four intructors that give seminars to a local electrical contractor association. They have dinners once a month where they can pick up an hour credit towards their CEU's requirements. There is generally also a presentation from a local supply house touting a new technology or product. They address issues that have come up or ask technical question, it appears to me to be very helpful and popular enough that they have 3 chapters and generally twenty some to forty some people at each dinner.
    I was my company's rep to the Passaic County Electrical Contractors' Association for a little while. When they found out I wasn't the actual licensee, they politely asked me to stop coming around. Kind of unfriendly, if you ask me, but their sand box, their rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a union signatory I have the option of joining my local NECA chapter (National Electrical Contractors Association). Currently I am not a member, but they handle all the union related payments so I'm at the office at least once a month and hear about the goings-on. The local union also holds a get together for all the smaller contractors once a quarter or so. We get presentations, insight into upcoming jobs, and a chance to share information about our operations. All these people are competitors, but we still share info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My local electrical inspectors association encourages contractors and electricians to join.