User Tag List

Thread: Securing bids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Securing bids

hi All,

Does anyone have some general tips for winning a bid?

Is there a percentage of total bids won that would consider me a successful estimator?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really have an answer other than if you get every bid, you're probably too low, and if you don't get any, you're probably too high. If you keep not winning bids with the same people, they're probably just using you as a second or third bid and the job has actually already been awarded.

I always hated bidding jobs. I had enough work from my regular customers, that I usually wouldn't take the time to bid a job, if it was someone I didn't know.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10%

I was told in business school it is 10% wins, otherwise it is what John said too high or too low.
    A cowboy may get thrown , but they always get up and walk forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10% has always been a good measure in commercial electrical.

I used to bid around $20 to 30 million a year to hit a target of 2 to 3 million a year in awarded jobs.

Conversely, when I went into business, I figured what my overhead will be for a given year...then, assuming I put 10-15% overhead on my bids...I could calculate an approximate volume of estimates I need to crank out
    to cover my annual overhead