Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your suggestions for client QA questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenieur View Post
    I would make it casual, not specific
    'just following up to make sure you are happy with our work'
    'any loose ends or things we could do better or different to improve'
    let them do the talking
    I agree. That's kinda why I suggest a phone call or a polite email.
    Less formal.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

I hate any type of feed back request from any business. If I am not happy I will let you know without you asking me.
    Don, Illinois
    Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity. Dr. Rick Rigsby
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    I hate any type of feed back request from any business. If I am not happy I will let you know without you asking me.
    Different people act differently. Some are very vocal and some quietly steam. A lot of people are afraid of confrontation and would never complain to the business, but will write a scathing review that could be damaging to the business. I'd rather ask and find out what going on, than be surprised. I think by asking how things went, I can defuse any bad situations before they blow up.

Right now, I'm leaning toward asking the following:

"Were you happy with the service you received?"

If "yes" to above, "Is there something we could have done better?"

If not "yes" to above, "How could we have served you better?"

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Question 6, do you really think anyone's going to tell you 'no you didn't charge me enough'?
    No, not at my labor rate. However I am interested if they think it's about right or too much. It's hard to ask that question without also asking if it's too little. I service a lot of really rich people who don't look the least bit shocked when I quote them a price. There are others that cringe a bit, but accept anyway. Usually if people are really price sensitive, they want to know the price over the phone and will decline if they think it's too high. These are people I'm dealing with directly. When an employee does the negotiation, I'm out of the loop so I have an interest in knowing what happening.

BTW, I have told people they are not charging me enough when I was surprised by a very low price. I did so recently when I took my office computer in for repair. I was imagining about a $200 repair but was charged only $30 for about 3 hours work. I would have given him more money had he asked.

And if the price was honestly too high, then someone else would be doing the work and not you, correct?
    I have had a couple of clients who accepted my offer, liked my work, paid me, and then complained it was too high, so not correct. Why did they accept? IDK. Perhaps they don't like confrontation. Perhaps they were in a hurry. Perhaps I'm the only electrician they know.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    When an employee does the negotiation, I'm out of the loop so I have an interest in knowing what happening.
    Flat-rate ...... Flat-rate..... Flate-rate 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    I have had a couple of clients who accepted my offer, liked my work, paid me, and then complained it was too high....
    Had that happen a few times too!! Had one guy call and PRETEND to be his wife on the phone saying she did not authorize him to spend that much. Next time he called for service I declined 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

The flip side of this whole thing is are you willing to change your ways if enough customers suggest it? I don't know how big your customer or survey base is, but if you get three or five people suggesting the same thing that you could have done differently, will you do it?

One sole proprietor I work for a while back was constantly late for mid day appointments. He thought he was great at managing and estimating time. I saw that he was constantly disorganized and frequently had to run to the supply house for the smallest of items that should have been on the truck. Lots of customers and contractors complained about him / us being late. Rather than take any of that on himself, he constantly blamed whoever was working for him as the problem. I and pretty much everyone else who worked for him in the past few years got tired of being more of a scapegoat than an electrician.

I relay to you that little short story because if you are not willing to change anything, or accept that your ways may not be the best, or actually problematic for a lot of people, there is no point in surveying your customers.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

The flip side of this whole thing is are you willing to change your ways if enough customers suggest it? I don't know how big your customer or survey base is, but if you get three or five people suggesting the same thing that you could have done differently, will you do it?

One sole proprietor I work for a while back was constantly late for mid day appointments. He thought he was great at managing and estimating time. I saw that he was constantly disorganized and frequently had to run to the supply house for the smallest of items that should have been on the truck. Lots of customers and contractors complained about him / us being late. Rather than take any of that on himself, he constantly blamed whoever was working for him as the problem. I and pretty much everyone else who worked for him in the past few years got tired of being more of a scapegoat than an electrician.

I relay to you that little short story because if you are not willing to change anything, or accept that your ways may not be the best, or actually problematic for a lot of people, there is no point in surveying your customers.
    You are absolutely correct. I believe I have always been very responsive to my clients complaints/concerns and have made many adjustments over time. I plan on continuing to do so. Mainly this thread is about monitoring employees. I think I would be a fool to just take their word that everything went fine and the client was very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post
    Flat-rate ...... Flat-rate..... Flate-rate
    We are, but one size does not fit all. We don't have a flat rate book. We quote flat rates, but calculate them based on site conditions. If a prospective client balks at the price, we may come down a bit in order to sell the job, but never to the point where the job is unprofitable.

Quote Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post
    Had one guy call and PRETEND to be his wife on the phone

We have postage paid cards that we carry, you give them to the client at the end of the job and if they feel like it, they fill it out and drop it in the mail box. Every one gets one, but only a few will send them in.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector