User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Electric Water heater wifi controlled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Who cleans, changes the linens, fumigates between rental customers? You can't do that remotely. I wouldn't even want to rent something that wasn't properly cleaned before I got there. That would be disgusting. You're right, the world has changed. Who knows what went on there before you.

-Hal
    Yeah we know.
    However with remote controls you can see if they did what they are supposed to.
    When a tech is dispatched to these places , they know when I arrive, they have web cameras in the perimeter or ring type stuff. ...........
    Yes it is a new world and workplace

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However with remote controls you can see if they did what they are supposed to.
    Did what WHO is supposed to? You mean it's the previous renters responsibility to clean and wash or change the linens? Ewwww! Gross!

-Hal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    Have you seen the size of homes we have around lake tahoe? Some of these folks are so cheap , they would rather use remote devices then pay a caretaker.
    Caretaker probably does cost more, some might feel they will be taken advantage or or have things stolen, etc. This usually those that are only moderately wealthy though. The filthy rich have full time caretakers at all their properties.

Quote Originally Posted by mtfallsmikey View Post
    I'm old school, have an Intermatic timer on mine, with a contactor hooked up to a switch so I can override the timer, let the heater work full time if I wish.
    What does that make those of us with no controller at all other then the OEM thermostats? Cavemen?
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just turn off all the breakers when I leave my camp, turn them on when I get there.
    If I rented it out, I would be there when customer arrived and left, 1-1/2hrs. door to door

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    Why would someone want to control a water heater via WiFi? Other than, they can.
    Customer wants this because. They are a couple with no kids, both work long hours, but they are some days when they could work from home, one of them travels a lot and there some days he is home for days. they want to heat the water whenever they will be home and not for the hundreds of hours there is nobody at home.
    Miguel

All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must likewise do to them

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnelectrical View Post
    Customer wants this because. They are a couple with no kids, both work long hours, but they are some days when they could work from home, one of them travels a lot and there some days he is home for days. they want to heat the water whenever they will be home and not for the hundreds of hours there is nobody at home.
    The thing is electric water heat is about 100% efficient and the stand by losses are next to nothing so they will be spending money on an idea instead of actual savings.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnelectrical View Post
    It keeps getting even better. So this isn't rental property, it's owner occupied? They can't turn on the water heater when they are going to be there? Lazy rich people!!!! Give 'em a switch by the front door! Or maybe they are so busy they can't wait a few minutes for hot water.

-Hal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Or maybe they are so busy they can't wait a few minutes for hot water.
    I thought I missed something, but now I agree. Just about every water heater I've seen has a recovery time of about one hour.

I also agree that a contactor controlled by a switch would be suitable if the breaker panel is really that hard to get to.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    The thing is electric water heat is about 100% efficient and the stand by losses are next to nothing so they will be spending money on an idea instead of actual savings.
    I don't think the losses are nothing, once told that having a tank style water heater inside conditioned space adds about 1/4 ton to cooling calculations. That should mean it lessens the heating load though. IMO water heater not worthwhile to try to control in an occupied house. Vacation house or similar - shut it off when you leave turn it on when you arrive, winter months probably doesn't matter much though, especially if heating system is electric heat.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put an extra layer of insulation around the tank just to make them feel better.