Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Water heater wifi controlled

Electric Water heater wifi controlled

any recommendation for a good water heater controller that works with a wifi ? heater is 208 volts 30 amps
    Miguel

All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must likewise do to them

I would think that such would be a feature of the water heater from the manufacturer. Not something aftermarket.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by mtnelectrical View Post
    any recommendation for a good water heater controller that works with a wifi ? heater is 208 volts 30 amps
    I use Wemo with a 30A contactor. Works great.

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C030;...7B1B7E61F092F/

There are wifi water heaters as well as devices rated at 30 amps that can control the circuit.
    If it is really desired I'd get the water heater with the Wifi because you can control the temp remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    There are wifi water heaters as well as devices rated at 30 amps that can control the circuit.
    If it is really desired I'd get the water heater with the Wifi because you can control the temp remotely.
    I forgot to mention that the water heater just has been replaced.
    Miguel

All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must likewise do to them

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Why would someone want to control a water heater via WiFi? Other than, they can.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    Why would someone want to control a water heater via WiFi? Other than, they can.
    Turning the temp down when going on a long vacation?

Mine has a control board on the top with 4 settings you can do right on the water heater. I guess WIFI would allow them to do it later if they forgot to do before they left the house. But how often would you really need to do that?

Sounds like more things to go wrong to me....

Quote Originally Posted by Cow View Post

Mine has a control board on the top with 4 settings you can do right on the water heater. I guess WIFI would allow them to do it later if they forgot to do before they left the house. But how often would you really need to do that?

Sounds like more things to go wrong to me
    exactly.

These only have value to gadget junkies. Maybe someone that is obsessed with saving every tiny bit of energy they can or way to involved in being green for the planet (but those people shouldn't by nature even be interested in a tank type water heater) would also have an interest in such a product. Tank type water heater doesn't cost that much to maintain the tank when you aren't ever using any hot water. On top of that losses are only total losses during cooling season or if the tank isn't in a conditioned space (not happening here or you will have frozen pipes in the winter). During heating season those losses just supplement the heating system.

I recently seen a garage door opener with wifi abilities. What is so important about needing wifi to communicate with your garage door? Sure you might be able to remotely open the door from half way around the globe, but how bad is the need to do so? That same GDO I was asked to connect a new "wired wall control" for it, as the old one stopped working. New one didn't work either - problem in the main unit - the old wall control did work on the second door opener they had. What was wrong with the traditional simple normally open contact that we used to put inside the garage as a control? I can understand something with additional security for an outdoor control. I ended up fixing that one with a wall mount wireless controller. Sends same kind of signal as the vehicle remotes, just designed to mount on the wall. Was a lot cheaper then a new circuit board for the door opener.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cow View Post
    How about just turning it off? Or is that too simple?
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    How about just turning it off? Or is that too simple?
    Yes, too simple.

When you come back and turn it on again - that is for some reason the time some component will fail.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.