Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ufer ground

Ufer ground

Is a ufer ground required if a foundation or footing is to be used installed? We are putting a generator on a foundation. The foundation has rebar. IS the rebar required to be bonded as part of the grounding electrode system ? Please provide the address in NEC if yes and or no.

Is it just a slab or does it have a footing? Rebar in a slab does not qualify as a CEE so it wouldn't need to be used.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Is it just a slab or does it have a footing? Rebar in a slab does not qualify as a CEE so it wouldn't need to be used.

Its a 15' x 10' slab with a 2' footing around the sides. So yes it has a footing. is this required by NEC to be part of ground?
    Last edited by GoldDigger; 05-24-18 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Fix QUOTE

My understanding is that if there's 20 linear ft of rebar somehow connected together then it qualifies as a CEE and per 250.50 it must be bonded to the grounding electrode system. Maybe you can educate me as to why a slab would be different.

The NEC is a little fuzzy on this one, IMO it is not required to be connected because you are not touching the service. If the building already has a CEE then the code is clear it is not required to be connected.
    Rob

The NEC is a little fuzzy on this one, IMO it is not required to be connected because you are not touching the service. If the building already has a CEE then the code is clear it is not required to be connected.
    It is quite unfortunate that it is so unclear, because it gives AHJs the ammunition to require it for all new foundation work.

Some generators require an electrode so that ufer would be great for it.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Some generators require an electrode so that ufer would be great for it.
    Would that require you to connect it to the building GES too?

Quote Originally Posted by MRKN View Post
    It is quite unfortunate that it is so unclear, because it gives AHJs the ammunition to require it for all new foundation work.
    The NEC wording says that all qualifying electrodes present must be used so that makes it a somewhat gray area. Like I said if you already have a CEE then you are not required to connect other CEE's that are added in the future.
    Rob

The service is a meter bank about 50' away. we are installing a slab/foundation for a skid. I know I mentioned generator but I am clear not its all inclusive. The telco, panel, and generator all sit on skid. The new skid will tie into existing ground ring. I am concerned that the slab the guys already poured needed to have ufer and or if its even needed since it has steel.

Quote Originally Posted by MBLES View Post
    The service is a meter bank about 50' away. we are installing a slab/foundation for a skid. I know I mentioned generator but I am clear not its all inclusive. The telco, panel, and generator all sit on skid. The new skid will tie into existing ground ring. I am concerned that the slab the guys already poured needed to have ufer and or if its even needed since it has steel.
    If it's already poured and the AHJ didn't hold them up from pouring you're good to go under 250.50 "that are present". Welp, guess it's no longer present now.