Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Grounded Conductor required?

Re:

Thanks for the question! As a general rule, white and gray are restricted to grounded conductors.

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    It could be a metallic raceway. Also how does that impact the need to bring in the grounded conductor?
    Perhaps this is why the UK code has onelook at placing a ground within the metallic raceway in some instances, and requires bonding of all conduits and raceways at both ends with the circuit ground so that if any ground fails, the rest of the grounding circuit still carries the ground and trips the breaker? Or am I reading the textbooks wrong?
    Since a student, even with ARRL Advanced background, know I may be wrong but hoping I understand what I am reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    Perhaps this is why the UK code has onelook at placing a ground within the metallic raceway in some instances, and requires bonding of all conduits and raceways at both ends with the circuit ground so that if any ground fails, the rest of the grounding circuit still carries the ground and trips the breaker? Or am I reading the textbooks wrong?
    Since a student, even with ARRL Advanced background, know I may be wrong but hoping I understand what I am reading.
    Are you referring to BS 7671? As I recall this is a derivative of IEC 60364? What you've just described is closer to the equipment grounding conductor, 'EGC' than grounded conductor in NEC. The British counterpart would be a TNS system, if I remember correctly.