Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounded Conductor required?

Quote Originally Posted by packersparky View Post
    I agree with Action Dave. The neutral is not required to be brought to the disconnect, but a supply side bonding jumper is required from the transformer to the disconnect. See 250.30(A)(2)
    I agree also, you would only need to bring it to the disconnect if that is where you're installing the system bonding jumper.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

I agree with Action Dave. The neutral is not required to be brought to the disconnect, but a supply side bonding jumper is required from the transformer to the disconnect. See 250.30(A)(2)
    a 'grounded conductor' is not necessarily a neutral - could be a non-current carrying corner or center grounded delta. The grounded conductor's only purpose is to provide fault path for service.
    Supply side bonding jumper will not suffice for the grounded conductor unless it's also bonded to the xfmr windings. For example, Exhibit 250.15 Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    I agree also, you would only need to bring it to the disconnect if that is where you're installing the system bonding jumper.
    I believe you need to bring the SSBJ to the disconnect no matter where the system bonding jumper is installed.

I believe you need to bring the SSBJ to the disconnect no matter where the system bonding jumper is installed.

Agreed. But if its not bonded to the windings you'll need the grounded conductor as well, this is the only way the service CB will trip upon ground fault.

It could be a metallic raceway. Also how does that impact the need to bring in the grounded conductor?
    Rob

agree, The supply-side bonding jumper would be needed to bond the transformer and disconnect regardless of the location of the system bonding jumper but the grounded conductor only needs to be routed to the location of the system bonding jumper
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

It could be a metallic raceway. Also how does that impact the need to bring in the grounded conductor?
    The SSBJ could be a non-flexible metallic raceway. The grounded conductor only needs to be brought to the disconnect if that is where you choose to install the system bonding jumper, or you are serving neutral loads.

The SSBJ could be a non-flexible metallic raceway. The grounded conductor only needs to be brought to the disconnect if that is where you choose to install the system bonding jumper, or you are serving neutral loads.
    Agreed, I think I said part of that in post #11.
    Rob

Agreed, I think I said part of that in post #11.
    I read the word "it" in post #11 as meaning the SSBJ, I know now that "it" was referring to the grounded conductor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale001289 View Post
    Agreed. But if its not bonded to the windings you'll need the grounded conductor as well, this is the only way the service CB will trip upon ground fault.
    By definition, the system bonding jumper is the connection between the SSBJ and the grounded conductor. The connection can be made in the transformer and the grounded conductor would not need to be brought to the disconnect.