Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounded Conductor required?

Grounded Conductor required?

Does the code require the grounded conductor be brought to the first means of disconnect on a separately Derived System?

Quote Originally Posted by xformer View Post
    Does the code require the grounded conductor be brought to the first means of disconnect on a separately Derived System?

yes, if system is grounded, See 250.24(C)

normally yes but basically depends on the voltages see 250.20(B)
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    The first paragraph of 250.30 does not include 250.24 in the list of other articles that apply, so I say no.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    The first paragraph of 250.30 does not include 250.24 in the list of other articles that apply, so I say no.

If the grounded conductor from a separately derived system (i.e. transformer) is not included with service conductors a ground fault has no path back to the Xfmr XO (or corner grounded delta) -- until it goes phase to phase.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale001289 View Post
    If the grounded conductor from a separately derived system (i.e. transformer) is not included with service conductors a ground fault has no path back to the Xfmr XO (or corner grounded delta) -- until it goes phase to phase.
    You can bond the grounded conductor in the transformer.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Of course, but the grounded conductor also has to be routed with the secondary conductors to the CB or fused switch.

excellent point. In reading the OP I concerned myself with the need to "ground" the system and not the need to actually bring the conduct or to the disconnect.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Of course, but the grounded conductor also has to be routed with the secondary conductors to the CB or fused switch.
    why ? if its not needed

I agree with Action Dave. The neutral is not required to be brought to the disconnect, but a supply side bonding jumper is required from the transformer to the disconnect. See 250.30(A)(2)