Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: five minute service call for $XXX

Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    OK, why did the breaker trip? Was the circuit overloaded?
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Good question, but 99.99% of time you will never have enough information to re-enact exactly what happened, and client will not know what kind of things they should be trying to recall in the first place.
    I don't know, I often find causes for breakers tripping. I would have at least removed the panel cover and checked for a loose connection at the breaker. Very common cause of breaker tripping other than overload.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

If we were attorneys, there would have been charges for the phone conversation as well ...
    Attorneys, same as everybody else, wrestle with what to bill and what not to. Many have a "first hour free" policy.

Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    ... I often find causes for breakers tripping. I would have at least removed the panel cover and checked for a loose connection at the breaker. Very common cause of breaker tripping ....
    And while you're in there, tighten up every connection.
    Some decades back, the Bell System did a large-scale survey of commercial power quality problems. Something like 75% of them were traced to loose connections. When they published the report, they put a photograph of a screwdriver at the head of the chapter about power-quality remedies.

Quote Originally Posted by drcampbell View Post
    Attorneys, same as everybody else, wrestle with what to bill and what not to. Many have a "first hour free" policy.
    I’m sending a screenshot of this to my attorney. He’s apparently unaware of that policy. 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post
    I’m sending a screenshot of this to my attorney. He’s apparently unaware of that policy. ������

That's only for new clients.

After reading this thread, I'm glad I'm retired.

If we were attorneys, there would have been charges for the phone conversation as well
    I actually do charge for phone conversations for some clients. When I first started subbing for solar contractors they had me doing a lot of things that I wasn't charging them for. Come over and look at this job, come to this meeting we are having, long phone calls to discuss projects, drive over to the office or the permit office to sign a permit application, drive two hours to do a one hour job, etc.

After a while I got smart and put a contract in place that enumerated all these items and the charges for each. For phone calls, I start charging my hourly rate after five minutes. First five minutes are no charge. If they want me to sign a permit and not charge them for my time, they drive it over to my shop before I leave for the day and I'll sign it. If they can wait a few days, they email it and I mail the signed copy back to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    I actually do charge for phone conversations for some clients. When I first started subbing for solar contractors they had me doing a lot of things that I wasn't charging them for. Come over and look at this job, come to this meeting we are having, long phone calls to discuss projects, drive over to the office or the permit office to sign a permit application, drive two hours to do a one hour job, etc.

After a while I got smart and put a contract in place that enumerated all these items and the charges for each. For phone calls, I start charging my hourly rate after five minutes. First five minutes are no charge. If they want me to sign a permit and not charge them for my time, they drive it over to my shop before I leave for the day and I'll sign it. If they can wait a few days, they email it and I mail the signed copy back to them.
    I may track phone calls, driving to and scoping out projects, time spent creating estimate or plans, etc. and throw some extra labor to cover all those things when estimating/bidding, but won't collect any of it if not awarded the project.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by drcampbell View Post
    I don't think many of them wrestle with that decision very much at all. They may initially consult with you enough to give you an idea what you may be up against if you proceed with whatever it is you came to them with and not charge you if you walk away not wanting to proceed. If you do proceed they likely bill you for that time.

I have been a creditor listed in a bankruptcy case a couple times. Being a creditor the court does mail you copies of all case activities.

Both times the attorneys had included in their fees a charge for every phone call and a fee for pretty much any document produced, copied or whatever, as well as postage expenses, etc.

Maybe we should all itemize phone calls and postage on our invoices and see how well that goes over with customers

Lump a little extra into labor or other misc fees for such things and they usually don't say anything.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

I know I already have told this story so I'll tell the cliff note version. Three phone calls to me about the same thing and me telling him that there's a GFCI somewhere, he get's mad and asks why I won't just come over? I tell him that if I drive over there and push that little red button it's going to cost him $60 (this was 30 years ago). Fourth phone call to me, Found it. Thought you might.

Now on the other hand I've reset many a breaker or GFCI for nothing and made lots of money later from those same people.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post
    I’m sending a screenshot of this to my attorney. He’s apparently unaware of that policy. ������
    honey, the first hour was a long time ago.

it's not a free first hour *each time*

send him this screen shot.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

five minute service call for $XXX

Quote Originally Posted by Fulthrotl View Post
    honey, the first hour was a long time ago.

it's not a free first hour *each time*

send him this screen shot.
    🤣🤣🤣

I never got my free hour though. The first time I ever sat in front of him it was $200 for an hour to talk. But hey, he knew everything about something I knew nothing about, so I ain’t complaining.

That divorce was worth every dollar though.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.