Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 55 of 55

Thread: five minute service call for $XXX

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    19,542
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Good pics... I see you have your Quality Control inspector out there (the cat).
    The really unusual jobs all require a cat scan to diagnose.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    37,968
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    A 300 Winchester magnum with a good scope and steady hand would have taken those off in a minute... Although the remaining $900 would probably not cover bail LOL.

    A hotel owner thinking you are a crook? Irony. Pot..kettle..black.

    Highest I've been in the bucket truck was maybe 35 ft... Don't think I could do a hundred feet
    Maybe one needs to stay at hotel, check in at 10:00 PM check out at 6:00AM and tell them you should only have to pay for 1/3 of a day's rate, after all you were only there for a third of a day

    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    I don't understand the logic that some people use.

    You quoted the job weeks in advance. This gave plenty of time for them to look around for a better price (and they probably did).

    If you only charged for an hour then who would they expect to pay for the boom truck.

    Even if they had a boom truck and an operator there on the job I still wouldn't charge for 1 hour if I'm the one going up in the bucket. If I have to give a job quote it's never less than 4 hours. I don't know how long it will really take ( the truck could have a flat tire and be delayed getting there).
    He did charge for a 1 hour job, it just happened to be at a higher rate then most other jobs he does I probably wouldn't penalize customer for something like a flat tire, at least not directly, you need to have some overhead built into what you charge to cover those kind of things you just can't control. If you blew the transmission on your truck on your way to a service call you certainly wouldn't itemize the transmission repair on the bill to your customer, I hope.

    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Good pics... I see you have your Quality Control inspector out there (the cat).
    That is the guy that can get into tight spaces to do certain tasks others can't.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,910
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I probably wouldn't penalize customer for something like a flat tire, at least not directly, you need to have some overhead built into what you charge to cover those kind of things you just can't control. If you blew the transmission on your truck on your way to a service call you certainly wouldn't itemize the transmission repair on the bill to your customer, I hope.
    I never said that a customer should be penalized for things like flat tires or transmission repairs. I said that I never quote a job at one hour even if I think it may be possible to do a job in that time limit.

    If the customer wants a quote/firm price then they can expect that a little extra is added to cover the possibility that something will not work out as well as planned. If they want to pay for the actual time it takes to do the job it can be done as T&M.

    Only once in my life time do I remember a tire going flat on a rented bucket truck so it's not likely but there are a thousand other things that can happen that you would not expect. The cost of the tire repair was on the rental company ( took over 2 hours for repair). It got dark and we were on overtime and the job went slower than expected. This cost was on the EC.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    37,968
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    I never said that a customer should be penalized for things like flat tires or transmission repairs. I said that I never quote a job at one hour even if I think it may be possible to do a job in that time limit.

    If the customer wants a quote/firm price then they can expect that a little extra is added to cover the possibility that something will not work out as well as planned. If they want to pay for the actual time it takes to do the job it can be done as T&M.

    Only once in my life time do I remember a tire going flat on a rented bucket truck so it's not likely but there are a thousand other things that can happen that you would not expect. The cost of the tire repair was on the rental company ( took over 2 hours for repair). It got dark and we were on overtime and the job went slower than expected. This cost was on the EC.
    I understand, with equipment like that - especially if you are renting or even subcontracting it you are probably paying for at least half day even if you only actually spend 5 minutes on your job site with it.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,040
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I understand, with equipment like that - especially if you are renting or even subcontracting it you are probably paying for at least half day even if you only actually spend 5 minutes on your job site with it.
    When my last company rented lifts, it was a three-part deal: drop off charge, rental, pickup charge. Using a lift for a single day was very expensive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •