User Tag List

Thread: solar and generators

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

solar and generators

I will be upgrading a electrical service from 100 amps to 200 amps. I typically install a mechanical interlock from the main breaker to a 2 pole backup generator breaker in the main service panel and install a outlet for a portable back up generator. This is the first time there are solar panels installed. Is there a way to do this with only one panel or will I have to put in a sub panel for the generator? I am not a solar guy...the solar is tapped off the load side of the main 100 amp breaker then going to a 30 amp fused disconnect switch so my thought was just put the feed for the solar to a 30 amp breaker and install labels. What do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need some way to ensure that the solar and the generator are not operating at the same time while connected to each other.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwireme View Post
    I will be upgrading a electrical service from 100 amps to 200 amps. I typically install a mechanical interlock from the main breaker to a 2 pole backup generator breaker in the main service panel and install a outlet for a portable back up generator. This is the first time there are solar panels installed. Is there a way to do this with only one panel or will I have to put in a sub panel for the generator? I am not a solar guy...the solar is tapped off the load side of the main 100 amp breaker then going to a 30 amp fused disconnect switch so my thought was just put the feed for the solar to a 30 amp breaker and install labels. What do you think?
    If you are redoing the electrical service anyway, it would be easy to change to a line side connection. Just install a wireway or box after the meter and tap of to a fused disconnect for the PV. Another way to do it is use a 320 socket then you get your 2nd set of lugs for the PV. Obviously check utility requirements and get their approval. I have to say that I have a hard time believing that a cheap consumer generator wont be nearly instantly rejected by the inverter, but obviously as pro's we cant assume that.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwireme View Post
    Move the solar to a supply side interconnection on the grid side of the ATS and do what you normally do with the generator.