Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ground rod in disturbed back-fill

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I can recall many places where soil is sandy and you can nearly push a rod all the way in with bare hands.
    I live in such an area. The dirt near Lake Michigan is white sand. I can usually push a ground rod down 6-8 feet by hand in some areas.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    I live in such an area. The dirt near Lake Michigan is white sand. I can usually push a ground rod down 6-8 feet by hand in some areas.
    I live practically right on the border of where the "Nebraska sandhills region" begins. Have both heavy soils and sandy soils all around me. In fact where my house sits is all sand, go just a few hundred feet to the rear and there is clay soil back there. Kind of a mix at the surface but dig down and it is all clay.

Many of sandy areas you only push the rod in 5 or 6 feet and it gets too hard to push any further by hand. Go to a high water table area and you may push it all the way in pretty easily though.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I live practically right on the border of where the "Nebraska sandhills region" begins. Have both heavy soils and sandy soils all around me. In fact where my house sits is all sand, go just a few hundred feet to the rear and there is clay soil back there. Kind of a mix at the surface but dig down and it is all clay.

Many of sandy areas you only push the rod in 5 or 6 feet and it gets too hard to push any further by hand. Go to a high water table area and you may push it all the way in pretty easily though.
    Years ago we did a job where we had to put the rods in new sandy back fill. We would push them down to about a foot tall until we needed a hammer, but if you used too big of a hammer, the rod would disappear and you would have to dig down and pull some of it back up.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by Wire-Smith View Post
    do you think crushed limestone would be good back-fill, or slightly corrosive?
    Get limestone washings (quarry sand). It’s fine, it holds water well and mixed with 25% Bentonite clay will be as good as you’ll get.
    The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

thanks for the great responses everyone, does anyone have any published data or a suggestion on where to maybe find something published that says this is a good idea? thank you very much for the suggestions already

Quote Originally Posted by Wire-Smith View Post
    thanks for the great responses everyone, does anyone have any published data or a suggestion on where to maybe find something published that says this is a good idea? thank you very much for the suggestions already
    the problem with your question is it assumes somehow that a "better" ground is somehow desirable. Most cases it just does not matter.
    Bob

i will look into the chemical ground rods using bentonite should get me some published information for reasoning, thanks dennis

If you put same soil back in the hole but don't compact it to same consistency it was before removing it- you likely have more resistance to ground then you would have had if it were driven. Over time it may eventaully work itself to about where it would have been if driven though.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

After reading post #2, I looked at my 2008 NEC. Rings are "buried", rods are "driven", and plates are "installed". Only the NEC could come up with three ways to say "covered in dirt."