Bonding the UFER

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
It strikes me that you may not understand what an NEC concrete encased electrode is and where it is installed.

From 2011 NEC 250.52(A)(3).

It is installed in the footing not the slab and the slab is most times isolated from the foundation and footing

Check this out

stemwallslab.gif

In this application the CEE would be in the footing 2' to 4' underground and away from human contact. Notice the slab is isolated from the foundation.

Ill go back to this latter...

Lets start with this to keep it simple: I believe structural rebar should be bonded to the building's service.

iwire

Staff member
Ill go back to this latter...

Yes lets put aside facts and go with opinion.:D

Lets start with this to keep it simple: I believe structural rebar should be bonded to the building's service.

This strongly suggest you don't know how structural rebar is installed in a building. It is not all connected together and to bond it all would require a great many connections.

The NEC recognizes this and added text to the section to make that clear.

Again from 2011 NEC 250.52(A)(3)

If multiple concrete-encased electrodes are present at
a building or structure, it shall be permissible to bond
only one into the grounding electrode system.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Yes lets put aside facts and go with opinion.:D

Because if I presented my whole theory now it would not go over well for reasons you know well.

This strongly suggest you don't know how structural rebar is installed in a building. It is not all connected together and to bond it all would require a great many connections.

The NEC recognizes this and added text to the section to make that clear.

Again from 2011 NEC 250.52(A)(3)

Ok lets jump to this then: why do we bond to building steal?

iwire

Staff member
And this is where the problem lays imo. While it may not qualify as an earthing electrode per NEC, it still can extend remote earth to a person.

Many things can happen, but adding requirements without a documented problem is not cool.

I am much, much much more concerned with the outdoor located service gears potential to 'dirt' during an open neutral condition than building steel.

Typically exposed building steel is bonded by the metal raceways, boxes etc attached to it. Of course that is not an NEC bond but it does get the job done.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Many things can happen, but adding requirements without a documented problem is not cool.

Theory would say otherwise. This comes across as a curve ball to many, but when protecting people you actually want to energize everything around them during a contingency, or more accurately: bring everything to an equal potential.

A perfect example is a pool. Everything is bonded together in an intentional effort to create an equal potential mesh around the person. While a hand rail might kill at 120 volts, in theory it would not when everything else is energized at 120 volts (water, deck, ect) relative to remote earth. So in essence we are trying to remove anything from remote earth potential.

A second real world example is a dairy farm with stray voltage. Everything is bonded together to mask the situation.

I am much, much much more concerned with the outdoor located service gears potential to 'dirt' during an open neutral condition than building steel.

Explain. This can have validity to it. But I might be thinking differently...

Typically exposed building steel is bonded by the metal raceways, boxes etc attached to it. Of course that is not an NEC bond but it does get the job done.

True, but why would the NEC require bonding if it classifies as an electrode and not when it doesn't? We can either ditch all steal bonding (because conduit would bond it regardless) or the NEC has a concern that conduit may not be a sufficient bond.

iwire

Staff member
Theory would say otherwise.

Exactly. theory would point to that but reality is not pointing that way.

This comes across as a curve ball to many, but when protecting people you actually want to energize everything around them during a contingency, or more accurately: bring everything to an equal potential.

:D

Yes, only astute folks like yourself understand these outlandish concepts.

A perfect example is a pool. Everything is bonded together in an intentional effort to create an equal potential mesh around the person. While a hand rail might kill at 120 volts, in theory it would not when everything else is energized at 120 volts (water, deck, ect) relative to remote earth. So in essence we are trying to remove anything from remote earth potential.

For sure, and before those rules for pools came into being I am willing to bet that people had been injured or killed and this was the reason for code rules being added.

A second real world example is a dairy farm with stray voltage. Everything is bonded together to mask the situation.

Again, the problem was not just a theroy, cows were not producing enough milk etc.

See the pattern? Problem first, than a code section to address it.

We don't install traffic lights at every intersection because of what might happen, we do it when it is demonstrated that the intersection is dangerous without one.

True, but why would the NEC require bonding if it classifies as an electrode and not when it doesn't?

In truth we do not bond it if qualifies as an electrode, we use it as an electrode which ends up bonding it as well.

The only time we are required to bond building steel is when it is likely to be energized.

We can either ditch all steal bonding (because conduit would bond it regardless) or the NEC has a concern that conduit may not be a sufficient bond.

I do not think the NEC is concerned with bonding the steel in the least (and neither am I) unless it is likely to be energized.

Are you going to put in a code change proposal AKA a 'public input' voicing your concerns?

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician

That i do have a history of Mr MBrooke.....

Isolation can be a rather lofty aspiration, short of dressing cattle in faraday suits in fiberglass barns....

One naturally considers internal vs. external influence(s)

~RJ~

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Exactly. theory would point to that but reality is not pointing that way.

:D

Open neutrals do happen in reality do they not? Same goes for incidental contact with higher voltages?

Yes, only astute folks like yourself understand these outlandish concepts.

Why Thank you! :):p (Im joking) My point is that there are still much myths and misunderstanding around grounding and bonding. I still have old books from the 70s which say ground rods open a breaker. In fact I would even say that article 250 is built on a foundation of myth. Article 250 is almost exclusively concerned with earthing, but I see gaping holes in bonding. I have a theory that in the past CMP members actually believed that it was earthing that made systems safe rather then bonding. Yes earthing has its place but so does bonding.

I will post a vid to back up my theory regarding the CMP.

For sure, and before those rules for pools came into being I am willing to bet that people had been injured or killed and this was the reason for code rules being added.

Correct, and it has shown the concept works. Further it has shown that bonding is doing it rather then grounding.

Again, the problem was not just a theroy, cows were not producing enough milk etc.

Of course, due to voltage drop across the neutral. People become like cows when a service neutral opens or some other contingency take place.

See the pattern? Problem first, than a code section to address it.

Why not be proactive?

There are thousands of fires from open neutrals, some even with meters pulled, why has the CMP not addressed this yet despite actual evidence saying so?

We don't install traffic lights at every intersection because of what might happen, we do it when it is demonstrated that the intersection is dangerous without one.

I see new intersections that automatically get traffic lights without someone waiting for an accident to take place at that intersection.

In truth we do not bond it if qualifies as an electrode, we use it as an electrode which ends up bonding it as well.

The only time we are required to bond building steel is when it is likely to be energized.

Which I would argue: almost all building steal has the ability to become energized, or at least have a difference of potential.

My theory is that the NEC's qualifier for bonding only when it is a grounding electrode stems from old myths and misunderstandings once held by the CMP members. At one point it was believed that soil itself was essential to human safety. Just look at the misnomer term for EGC: "equipment grounding conductors" Its not earth that trips a breaker, its bonding back to the source. This I think is key to understanding...

I do not think the NEC is concerned with bonding the steel in the least (and neither am I) unless it is likely to be energized.

Are you going to put in a code change proposal AKA a 'public input' voicing your concerns?

I may do so. I first need to run some theoretical models to help come up with some better wording (and conceptual evidence), but I doubt I can change anything due to a wide laundry list on the CMP's part. :(:(

iwire

Staff member
Mbrooke, as a side note if I recall Florida requires metal studs in a building to be bonded. If I recall this was in response to a death.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Isolation can be a rather lofty aspiration, short of dressing cattle in faraday suits in fiberglass barns....

~RJ~

It takes two to tango :thumbsup::p

In my eyes both internal and external need to be considered. It is impossible to isolate all building material, and it is impossible to dress all people in metal suits, but the system itself can do that and already does to some degree (bonding of water pipes).

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Mbrooke, as a side note if I recall Florida requires metal studs in a building to be bonded. If I recall this was in response to a death.

Exactly my point, stray statistics exist.

By chance do you, or does anyone else know what exactly happened?

BTW, Iwire, you are not far off when you speak of low impedance earthing in regards to soil... I will get to that...

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

~RJ~

What is your experience in that? I think you would contribute a lot to the discussion.

iwire

Staff member
Open neutrals do happen in reality do they not?Same goes for incidental contact with higher voltages?

For sure.

What does not seem to be happening is a trail of death, injury or property damage from human contact with building steel during these open neutral conditions.

Why Thank you! :):p (Im joking) My point is that there are still much myths and misunderstanding around grounding and bonding.

For sure, but I doubt (and hope) the CMP members do not have those misunderstandings.

I am highly confident the CMP members understand equal potential.

I still have old books from the 70s which say ground rods open a breaker.

So throw the book out.

In fact I would even say that article 250 is built on a foundation of myth.

Somewhat, I think a better way to put it is that the CMPs are hesitant to lessen up the connection to dirt requirements without some strong substantiation.

Article 250 is almost exclusively concerned with earthing, but I see gaping holes in bonding.

See you are astute, you see gaping holes where 100s of engineers, electricians and other trade related folks do not.
I have a theory that in the past CMP members actually believed that it was earthing that made systems safe rather then bonding. Yes earthing has its place but so does bonding.

In the past we burned witches too, stick with the present CMPs. :D

I will post a vid to back up my theory regarding the CMP.

Go for it but I doubt I will watch it.

Correct, and it has shown the concept works. Further it has shown that bonding is doing it rather then grounding.

No one has said it does not work, no one has said it was grounding.

Of course, due to voltage drop across the neutral. People become like cows when a service neutral opens or some other contingency take place.

Peoples milk production drops? Man glad that did not happen to the wife while nursing our kids. :D

But as far as building steel can you show any documentation of people being electrically injured by contact with building steel because of an open neutral event?

Why not be proactive?

Because that is not how life of earth works. 40,000 folks a year die on US roads, a great many of them from impacting objects on the side of the road. Why don't we place gaurd rails on all roads?

By this point (2015) we have built many steel framed structures, many of them have likely had open neutral conditions.

Where is the injury data?

There are thousands of fires from open neutrals, some even with meters pulled, why has the CMP not addressed this yet despite actual evidence saying so?

Link to this evidence of "thousands" of fires caused by open neutrals. And more to the point how bonding the building steel would have prevented these fires.

I see new intersections that automatically get traffic lights without someone waiting for an accident to take place at that intersection.

Typically those would intersections that are on a road that has already demonstrated the need. But I will agree that happens sometimes.

Which I would argue: almost all building steal has the ability to become energized, or at least have a difference of potential.

I am not going to go down that road, 'likely to be energized' is an area where the NEC is lacking and no amount of discussion here is going to fix it.

As much as you feel otherwise I do not look at the NEC with reverence and I do not get butt hurt when folks want to change it. I do however find it amusing when one person sees so much wrong with it and thinks they can fix it all.

My theory is that the NEC's qualifier for bonding only when it is a grounding electrode stems from old myths and misunderstandings once held by the CMP members. At one point it was believed that soil itself was essential to human safety. Just look at the misnomer term for EGC: "equipment grounding conductors" Its not earth that trips a breaker, its bonding back to the source. This I think is key to understanding...

That is all fine and dandy, it may be accurate or not, I do not know.

But I do know that you have not provided any links or evidence at all that unbonded building steel is causing injuries.

I may do so. I first need to run some theoretical models to help come up with some better wording (and conceptual evidence),

Forget the figure it out on paper mission, find the data showing the injuries, that is what would get the code changed.

iwire

Staff member
Exactly my point, stray statistics exist.

Exactly that, stray, random etc. I am sure someone has died from being impaled with a pencil, we don't outlaw pencils. :)

By chance do you, or does anyone else know what exactly happened?

No it was a while ago, send a PM to BPHGravity, he knows all the details and likely has the actual wording of the rule.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Exactly that, stray, random etc. I am sure someone has died from being impaled with a pencil, we don't outlaw pencils. :)

No it was a while ago, send a PM to BPHGravity, he knows all the details and likely has the actual wording of the rule.

Errr, could you by chance? Im sure he isnt to happy about the stuff Ive been saying. (As though a person ought to be punished for speaking truth) :happyno:

Status
Not open for further replies.