Piping in Can Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Is there any issue with piping in can lights in emt when its between a first and second floor?
I have 15 to do and would rather pipe them together rather than MC.
Is there any issues with the possible wieght of something happening on the 2nd floor bearing down on them?

I would think if the floorjoist were going to give the whole ceiling and can lights would all give a the same time no matter whether they were flexed or hard piped in.

Just curious

JAP>

david

Is there any issue with piping in can lights in emt when its between a first and second floor?
Is there any issues with the possible wieght of something happening on the 2nd floor bearing down on them?

I would think if the floorjoist were going to give the whole ceiling and can lights would all give a the same time no matter whether they were flexed or hard piped in.

Just curious

JAP>

I would think you could use rigid metal conduit if you wanted to

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

Just curious

JAP>

so you are concerned that the floor flexing or settling,
and the pipe being attached to it will tweak the can lights,
or push them downward?

everything should move together. to avoid any chance that
the floor flexing can push down on the can light thru a piece of
emt, don't turn hard 90's down into the can lights. come out the
side of the j box, and you won't have any issues. there will be
some scooch.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you are working before the ceiling wallboard is installed be sure to allow enough slack to allow the can innards to be pulled out to allow access to the j-box after the ceiling is installed. Otherwise the connections will not be considered accessible.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The EMT will add no significant weight. The joists will easily accommodate the weight of the cans, pipe, and wire.

The room is 22' wide and 32' long.
The floorjoists are factory made out of 2x4's and are 24" tall 22' long on 24" centers across a lower room.
The top is decked with 3/4" Tongue and groove OSB and is going to be used for storage.

Between the floorjoist at the top there is a 2x4 crosspiece every 4' running perpendicular where the seams are at in the plywood above.
With everything else that's in the void there is space to run the emt on these cross pieces and install the can lights in the center of the ceiling/floor joists.

My concern was if someone is walking on top, or dropped something heavey on the storage area floor above , with the can lights being piped in, it could push down on the can light housing or damage the sheetrock below.

The ceiling below will all be hard lid sheetrock and was wanting to pipe it together instead of flex or MC so I'd have the option of adding something later if I needed to, since I could get to the J-boxes in the can lights by taking the inside of the can light out if it was piped together.

JAP>

iwire

Staff member
If you are working before the ceiling wallboard is installed be sure to allow enough slack to allow the can innards to be pulled out to allow access to the j-box after the ceiling is installed. Otherwise the connections will not be considered accessible.

You can't leave slack with EMT, the j-box on the light stays where it is and you access it by working through the hole left when you pull down the reflector.

jap

Occupation
Electrician

They are Juno IC22W's so the innard comes out, since the innard is flexed to the j-box, and the j-box stays where it's at.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
You can't leave slack with EMT, the j-box on the light stays where it is and you access it by working through the hole left when you pull down the reflector.

I-wire, I can tell by your responses that you and I have travelled many of the same paths in our electrical career.

You take the words out of my mouth before I can ever get it typed out.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
so you are concerned that the floor flexing or settling,
and the pipe being attached to it will tweak the can lights,
or push them downward?

everything should move together. to avoid any chance that
the floor flexing can push down on the can light thru a piece of
emt, don't turn hard 90's down into the can lights. come out the
side of the j box, and you won't have any issues. there will be
some scooch.

That's exactly the point.
The 90's would turn down into the j-boxes from the top.
there's no room to turn into the sides or I'd do that.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I see what your saying though.
You could always take the can lights down an fish more MC through the ceiling somehow at an Hourly rate...:)

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Nope.

But I don't find can lights needing much for rewiring, to each their own.

Not for the can lights so much, but for acess from one side of the room to the other if need be.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.