AFCI's For Dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.

titan1021

Hoping someone out there can give some BLACK & WHITE answers regarding 2011 AFCI requirements.

Trying to get t a definitive answer on whether AFCI protection is required in the kitchen or for kitchen appliances.

210.12 doesn't mention the kitchen at all, yet I've come across info online where people are talking about AFCI protection in kitchen. I know the lighting would have to be
AFCI protected. Even saw where someone posted section 210.12 and in the paragraph it mentioned kitchens being AFCI, yet in my 2011 NEC the same paragraph
does not mention kitchens. Be nice to have a simple chart or Mike Holt graphic stating or illustrating where AFCI protection is not Required.

Excluded areas should be listed right there as a sub-section of 210.12, seems like the NFPA enjoys making broad general requirements left to endless degrees of interpretation by the intelligent crowd as
well as the knucklehead inspectors out there.

jumper

Kitchens and laundry areas were added to the 2014, not the 2011.

Here it is for 2014:

(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and
20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed
in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining
rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms,
sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas,
or similar rooms or areas shall be protected .....

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
IMO, based on 2011 one of the SABC that is for the kitchen will have to be AFCI protected.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
210.52(B)(1)

The dining room has to be on one of the SABC and 210.12(A) lists dining room as a requirement for the AFCI.

Right, but it doesn't have to be on a kitchen SABC. It can just be on the dining room SABC. But yes, if you just extend a kitchen SABC into the dining room it would have to be AFCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.