Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 78

Thread: Equipotential grid

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Where does it say that?
    680.26(B) .....Bonding conductor provided to reduce voltage gradients in the pool area shall not be required to be extended or attached to remote panelboards, service equipment, or electrodes.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

    There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

    John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    36,708
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyjwc View Post
    680.26(B) .....Bonding conductor provided to reduce voltage gradients in the pool area shall not be required to be extended or attached to remote panelboards, service equipment, or electrodes.
    What that means is you do not have to run your bonding conductor to the panelboard, service equipment or electrodes. Doesn't mean you can't or that if you happen to have a #12 EGC required to the pool pump that it won't inherently be bonded to the EGC because the pump requires both to land on it.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,330
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    What that means is you do not have to run your bonding conductor to the panelboard, service equipment or electrodes. Doesn't mean you can't or that if you happen to have a #12 EGC required to the pool pump that it won't inherently be bonded to the EGC because the pump requires both to land on it.
    I didn't say can't, I said don't have too. Have to go back a couple of posts.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

    There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

    John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

  4. #64
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Boyertown, PA, USA
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyjwc View Post
    I didn't say can't, I said don't have too. Have to go back a couple of posts.
    That only says you don't have to specifically connect to panels, services or electrodes. The pump motor bonding is a requirement, so an EGC connection is a requirement.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    33,140
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyjwc View Post
    680.26(B) .....Bonding conductor provided to reduce voltage gradients in the pool area shall not be required to be extended or attached to remote panelboards, service equipment, or electrodes.
    That is not what you said. You said it didn't need to be connected to the equipment grounding conductor.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky



  6. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Are you saying that the nec states that the bonding grid is or should not be tied to the equipment grounding conductor?
    And I said that the code does not require it.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

    There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

    John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    36,708
    I don't think NEC requires a direct connection to an EGC, but in most cases you will typically at least have a pump circuit where you do have an EGC that inherently will get bonded to or (B)(6)(a) will make you bond to pump EGC for double insulated pump conditions.

    If you for some reason had no electrical items, not even a electric pump, then I don't think you would have to bond to an EGC. I don't think that happens all that often though.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    33,140
    The code states the equipotential bonding gets connected to the pump which is in turn connected to the equipment grounding conductor, or it shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor in the case of a double insulated pump.

    Maybe you are playing with semantics, IDK but it seems pretty clear that it will be connected to the equipment grounding conductor one way or the other

    680.26(B)(6)(a) Double-Insulated Water Pump Motors. Where a double insulated
    water pump motor is installed under the provisions of
    this rule, a solid 8 AWG copper conductor of sufficient length
    to make a bonding connection to a replacement motor shall be
    extended from the bonding grid to an accessible point in the
    vicinity of the pool pump motor. Where there is no connection
    between the swimming pool bonding grid and the equipment
    grounding system for the premises, this bonding conductor
    shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor of
    the motor circuit.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky



  9. #69
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Boyertown, PA, USA
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    The code states the equipotential bonding gets connected to the pump which is in turn connected to the equipment grounding conductor, or it shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor in the case of a double insulated pump.

    Maybe you are playing with semantics, IDK but it seems pretty clear that it will be connected to the equipment grounding conductor one way or the other
    That's what I've been saying. Thanks for citing the current code wording. I only had my '05 book here and knew the entry moved from 680.26(B)(4) but wasn't certain if the wording has changed. It hasn't.

    The wording that was in an fpn in '05 stating "The 8 AWG or larger solid copper bonding conductor shall not be required to be extended or attached to any remote panelboard, service equipment, or any electrode." in my opinion is what muddies the waters more than it clarifies. I think this is what leads to confusion and the impression that the equipotential bonding has no connection to equipment grounding.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    36,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigv View Post
    That's what I've been saying. Thanks for citing the current code wording. I only had my '05 book here and knew the entry moved from 680.26(B)(4) but wasn't certain if the wording has changed. It hasn't.

    The wording that was in an fpn in '05 stating "The 8 AWG or larger solid copper bonding conductor shall not be required to be extended or attached to any remote panelboard, service equipment, or any electrode." in my opinion is what muddies the waters more than it clarifies. I think this is what leads to confusion and the impression that the equipotential bonding has no connection to equipment grounding.
    As worded there is no requirement to directly connect it to equipment grounding other then in the case of a double insulated pump. The connection to an EGC inherently happens when we bond to the pump motor or any other item that is also connected to the EGC.

    680.26(A):"The equipotential bonding required by this section shall be installed to reduce voltage gradients in the pool area." kind of tells us the intent of equipotential bonding. We sort of don't care what the voltage is to items away from the pool, though if you bring anything connected to EGC into the area and you will be bonded to the EGC.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •