Zinsco panel oneway screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I've successfully used a brand new screwdriver and lots of pressure to get those screws out of a Square D panel.
Which panel(s)? I install a lot of Square D and have seen some so called tamper resistant screws before, but never ones like pictured in OP in any electrical gear of that type.

norcal

Early Cutler-Hammer CH panels had a bar locked down with oneway screws to prevent removal of the circuit breakers, the Zinsco panels that had oneway screws may still have had a copper bus so at least not quite as bad as later Zinsco, but any excuse to replace zinsco panels should be used. :happyyes:

iwire

Staff member
Which panel(s)? I install a lot of Square D and have seen some so called tamper resistant screws before, but never ones like pictured in OP in any electrical gear of that type.

I see them in Sq D QOB panels. They are sometimes put into the bus bar opposite a factory installed back fed main so that you cannot install a breaker in that location.

Also seen them at the bottom of the bus bars to prevent more breakers then they want installed. (Dont ask me, I have no idea why:huh:)

kwired

Electron manager
I see them in Sq D QOB panels. They are sometimes put into the bus bar opposite a factory installed back fed main so that you cannot install a breaker in that location.

Also seen them at the bottom of the bus bars to prevent more breakers then they want installed. (Dont ask me, I have no idea why:huh:)

I haven't got a ton of experience around older panels that accept QOB breakers I can't recall such a thing in newer ones though. I like the new NQ that gives you choice of using a plug on or a bolt on breaker though.

user 100

Zinsco panels that had oneway screws may still have had a copper bus so at least not quite as bad as later Zinsco, but any excuse to replace zinsco panels should be used. :happyyes:

Yep- those Zinscos w/ copper bus are ​at least 50 years old.

zinsco

Actually go ahead and make that two- yes they do still need to be maintained and can be repaired, but there needs to be an emphasis on getting rid of these things. Your right that the home owner can't always afford to do this, but it needs to be explained to the HO that a plan for replacement should at least be in the offing and even if the breaker/bus connection is problem free and all is well, any Zinsco anything is getting up there in years, and much like FPE they can appear to behave until something happens.

Of course! I make a lot of money replacing Zinsco panels. That is probably my favorite job to do. That said, if a customer does not want me to replace their panel, that is their right, and if they want me to run a circuit to their new dryer or microwave I will do just that.

THE POINT IS, THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY QUESTION!

zinsco

No, if they were designed to be loosened or removed in the field they would not have chosen those screws.

That makes no since what so ever. If that were true, they would have had to install the breakers at the factory. When that metal bar is slid towards the breakers and those screws are tightened, not only are you unable to take a breaker out, you can't install a breaker either.

zinsco

I've successfully used a brand new screwdriver and lots of pressure to get those screws out of a Square D panel.

Ya, I've done that too. It's not that I can't get these screws loosened, it's just that I expect there to be a proper tool to do so and I would like to give it a try. I found one at home depot for $6.00 so when I get it i'll let you guys know how it worked.

zinsco

Me thinks the op should have just asked about those tamper resistant screws and not mentioned any thing about Zinsco.:p

Ya, that's a good point. The reason I did was because I thought electricians would be familiar with those exact screws and size and that somebody would know what screw driver removal tool was used back in the day.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Ya, that's a good point. The reason I did was because I thought electricians would be familiar with those exact screws and size and that somebody would know what screw driver removal tool was used back in the day.

all you need is a third of a turn, so you can slide the plate back, and release
the breakers, so they can fall in pieces into your hands.

i've never even bothered with a screwdriver:

1. Turn off main
2. Grab head across thickest portion with Kleins
3. Turn until loose enough to slide back
4. Remove smouldering POS breaker
5. use 3/8" square contact burnishing bar on bus
6. replace breaker with cheap new chinese knock off from home desperate
7. gently snug up screw a bit. don't over tighten. you'll need to loosen it again in another two weeks.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Of course! I make a lot of money replacing Zinsco panels. That is probably my favorite job to do. That said, if a customer does not want me to replace their panel, that is their right, and if they want me to run a circuit to their new dryer or microwave I will do just that.

Hear hear. Only thing I won't do is install something on a panel that looks like it has already developed a problem and sustained damage.

norcal

I have one dumpster marked "Zinsco" and another marked "FPE". End of story.-Hal

Zinsco/ Sylvania used FPE breakers for everything over 240 volts or 225 amperes, but those breakers were not what gave FPE the bad name they have now.

zinsco

and i'm thinking perhaps your user id indicates a certain fondness
for the prince of darkness panels.

Ya, that is pretty funny considering the conversation, but I can assure you that I have no fondness for Zinsco panels. I made that user name a long time ago and I don't remember why.

John120/240

and i'm thinking perhaps your user id indicates a certain fondness
for the prince of darkness panels.

Ya, that is pretty funny considering the conversation, but I can assure you that I have no fondness for Zinsco panels. I made that user name a long time ago and I don't remember why.

Zinsco It's not too late, You only have 40 post on Mike Holt so go ahead & change your user name to something without the history of Zinsco.

Status
Not open for further replies.