Zinsco panel oneway screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

zinsco

Anyone know the exact name of the screw driver to remove one way screws from zinsco panels? Maybe even where to get it?

IMG_20151023_142537.jpg

I found this http://www.amazon.com/Jacknob-Number-One-Way-Remover-Yellow/dp/B0006G84JM

But I don't know if the zinsco screw is a #12-14 and I'm wondering if there is another type of screw remover that any of you have used.

I've always just hammered my screw driver against it until it turns and it has always worked, but it would be nice to have a tool designed for it.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Those are not made to be removed, I don't think there is a tool for that.

I would likely grind the head off remove the part and use pliers to turn the screw out once the part is out of the way.

But why are you doing anything to a Zinsco panel other than tossing it in the dumpster?

iwire

Staff member
http://tamperproof.com/categories/one-way-slotted.html

Bottom of the page there are 3 removal tools (no idea which if any fit your screws tho)

They can be removed without grinding/cutting off the heads; the tool you linked might do it.

I say good luck with that, if the screw is tight at all those tools will just 'cam out'.

I have a great set of tamper proof tools and some experience with them. :)

zinsco

Those are not made to be removed, I don't think there is a tool for that.

You are laughable, of coarse they are made to be removed or at least loosened. That piece of metal that the 2 screws are holding in place is supposed to slide from side to side. You slide it one way to lock the breakers in place and tighten the screws. To remove a breaker, you loosen the screws and slide the metal piece the other way to unlock the breakers. They are security screws or one way screws so as to discourage unqualified persons from working on them.

But why are you doing anything to a Zinsco panel other than tossing it in the dumpster?

I knew there would be at least one person who would not be interested in answering my question, but rather complain about me working in a Zinsco panel.

There are thousands of Zinsco panels still out there and home owners who need electrical work done who have these panels and you just want to toss them in the dumpster. Well, we are not all rich like you and able to pay electricians to replace our panels.

user 100

I knew there would be at least one person who would not be interested in answering my question, but rather complain about me working in a Zinsco panel.

There are thousands of Zinsco panels still out there and home owners who need electrical work done who have these panels and you just want to toss them in the dumpster. Well, we are not all rich like you and able to pay electricians to replace our panels.

Actually go ahead and make that two- yes they do still need to be maintained and can be repaired, but there needs to be an emphasis on getting rid of these things. Your right that the home owner can't always afford to do this, but it needs to be explained to the HO that a plan for replacement should at least be in the offing and even if the breaker/bus connection is problem free and all is well, any Zinsco anything is getting up there in years, and much like FPE they can appear to behave until something happens.

iwire

Staff member
You are laughable,

:D

Not only do you get electrical advice here you get entertained as well. Not bad for free.

of coarse they are made to be removed or at least loosened.

No, if they were designed to be loosened or removed in the field they would not have chosen those screws.

They are security screws or one way screws so as to discourage unqualified persons from working on them.

Now that is very laughable. :p

The panel and the breakers are beyond their useful life. It is time for them to be replaced. There are real issues with those panels

Are you really doing your customers or your business any favors by leaving this failure prone equipment in place?

And I am far from rich. :lol:

iwire

Staff member
it needs to be explained to the HO that a plan for replacement should at least be in the offing and even if the breaker/bus connection is problem free and all is well, any Zinsco anything is getting up there in years, and much like FPE they can appear to behave until something happens.

:thumbsup:

GrayHair

The tool referenced in the original post is what I used. Eventually, the hardened pins "lost their edge" where they made contact with the hardened screw head. I did use a cut-off disc on them a few times and that worked well.

I considered that driver a PITA to use, but short of modifying the screw, I never found anything as good and certainly not better.

kwired

Electron manager
Weld a nut onto the screw head so you have something to grab to turn it. If you have no welder that is ok, you can directly use output of one of the installed breakers as the welding power source:D

Status
Not open for further replies.