Fluke 334 strange reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

flywright52

Using a Fluke 334, I was troubleshooting a 480V 3 Ph circuit today, checking each of the legs to ground (chassis). I pulled the fuses and checked two of the legs and got a normal ("OL") reading to indicate the leg was not shorted. On the third leg, my meter was alternating between "OL" and "0" (zero). I have never this seen indication before and could not find it in any of the literature. Anyone seen this and know what it means?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My guess is that the ohmmeter function is being confused by phantom or leakage voltage on that one leg.
Are you using autorange for the ohm measurement? Can you force an ohms range with that meter?

flywright52

My guess is that the ohmmeter function is being confused by phantom or leakage voltage on that one leg.
Are you using autorange for the ohm measurement? Can you force an ohms range with that meter?

It was on ohms range. It could be that the cabinet had some phantom voltages. I sent a question to fluke. We'll see if they answer.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
If you're checking for ground faults, try a megger instead. Regular meters don't have the voltage behind the test to punch through any potential issues like a megger can. I use a Fluke 1507.

Status
Not open for further replies.