Standby Generator Circuit feeding another building with its own service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an application where I have been requested to wire a 208\120 Volt, 3 Phase, Standby Generator system and ATS (Non Service Entrance Rated). I am planning on installing a dedicated Standby Electrical panel that will handle the requested loads during a power outage. One of the loads requested is feeding a 50 Amp circuit to a separate building, (same owners), that is 60' away, with an existing underground 2 1\2" conduit between the buildings, but this building has its own utility service. I see in the NEC 230.2, that only one service is allowed to a building or structure, unless you read the exceptions. But this isn't considered a "service", but a branch circuit? Is this branch circuit allowed to the secondary building by the NEC? The secondary building would be fed from the Main building's service, regardless if the standby generator is running or not, because the ATS would transfer the power on through in normal situations. Is this installation allowed by the NEC?

iwire

Staff member
You would be supplying the second building with a branch circuit or feeder.

It can certainly be done code compliantly but it will require a second ATS if you want the generator to run if only the second building has a power failure.

You would be supplying the second building with a branch circuit or feeder.

It can certainly be done code compliantly but it will require a second ATS if you want the generator to run if only the second building has a power failure.

Back to my original question: May I use only "One" ATS (in the main building), that s feeds an emergency panel, (main building), that contains a a circuit breaker to feed to feed a small emergency sub panel in the secondary building? The secondary building is supplied by its own service That is my question.

Status
Not open for further replies.