Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potential Problem

Quote Originally Posted by texie View Post
    It also looks like the GEC is connected to the EG bus instead of the neutral bus. But, based on the dead short on the ungrounded conductors the improper grounding and bonding may be the least of their problems.
    There's nothing wrong with the GEC connected to the EG buss except for the fact that, that short piece of bare that is attached to the ground lug hanging loose is the bonding jumper that seems to be disconnected.

JAP>

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    On a side note, I hate those 30 amp 125v Rv receptacles.

The screws are both brass making it a document search to assure yourself of the hot and the neutral side to land your wiring on.

JAP>
    Yes, there must be a reason, but I don't have the faintest idea why they do that
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

The actual GEC in the picture does not terminate in the distribution section at all, which it doesn't have to be, if it goes up into the meter section and terminates to the neutral at that point , it's just that the bonding jumper is not attached in the distribution section.

JAP>

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    On a side note, I hate those 30 amp 125v Rv receptacles.

The screws are both brass making it a document search to assure yourself of the hot and the neutral side to land your wiring on.

JAP>
    If you purchase as part of an assembly like in the OP - it is already connected for you

Quote Originally Posted by texie View Post
    It also looks like the GEC is connected to the EG bus instead of the neutral bus. But, based on the dead short on the ungrounded conductors the improper grounding and bonding may be the least of their problems.
    Unless this is service equipment it shouldn't be connected to the neutral bus.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    If you purchase as part of an assembly like in the OP - it is already connected for you

Not on a 30 amp power outlet only it's not.

Unless this is service equipment it shouldn't be connected to the neutral bus.
    If it doesn't have a meter above or behind that picture, then it's a feeder and they missed the Equipment Ground buss with their EGC on their way to the ground rod.

JAP>

look up a Midwest U0130 and you'll see what I'm talking about.

JAP>

At times I find this place a little unbelievable.
    The intent of the original post happened not to be "what all is wrong with this picture". It meant to be a precaution to folks that there is the possibility of making a serious connection mistake if you run across one of these panels and are accustomed to single lug panels.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    At times I find this place a little unbelievable.
    The intent of the original post happened not to be "what all is wrong with this picture". It meant to be a precaution to folks that there is the possibility of making a serious connection mistake if you run across one of these panels and are accustomed to single lug panels.
    Yeah, but we are beyond that now. I gotta ask is this the way Tennesseans do things.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky