Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Bare Grounded conductor to service equipment- White tape? 230.41

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    5

    Bare Grounded conductor to service equipment- White tape? 230.41

    I have a situation set up like this: 480v 3 phase 200 amp service. In the conduit from the power company's transformer, there are three 250 AL wires and a bare #4 copper. These enter a CT cabinet, then continue to a 200A service disconnect. Currently, the bare wire is bonded to the CT cabinet, and also to the main disconnect switch enclosure. So there is presently no grounded conductor installed. The load does not require a grounded conductor, (neutral) but the NEC codebook does.

    Is there a way to make this legal without pulling another wire? For example: take the bare #4, land it in the CT as if it were the grounded conductor, (230.41) then bond the can, continue into the disconnect, land it on a neutral bar kit and bond the enclosure. I know you can use a bare wire for the grounded conductor, but then should it have white or gray tape to identify it as the grounded conductor?

    Thanks guys.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25,615
    Is this underground?

    III. Underground Service Conductors
    230.30 Installation.
    (A) Insulation. Underground service conductors shall be
    insulated for the applied voltage.
    Exception: A grounded conductor shall be permitted to be
    uninsulated as follows:
    (1) Bare copper used in a raceway
    (2) Bare copper for direct burial where bare copper is
    judged to be suitable for the soil conditions
    (3) Bare copper for direct burial without regard to soil
    conditions where part of a cable assembly identified for
    underground use
    (4) Aluminum or copper-clad aluminum without individual
    insulation or covering where part of a cable assembly
    identified for underground use in a raceway or for di-
    rect burial
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Miami Fla.
    Posts
    7,459
    Did you read 230.41?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Miami Fla.
    Posts
    7,459
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Is this underground?
    What code cycle Rob?

    What I posted was 2014

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25,615
    Quote Originally Posted by chris kennedy View Post
    What code cycle Rob?

    What I posted was 2014
    That's from the 2014 NEC.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Olson View Post
    I have a situation set up like this: 480v 3 phase 200 amp service. In the conduit from the power company's transformer, there are three 250 AL wires and a bare #4 copper. These enter a CT cabinet, then continue to a 200A service disconnect. Currently, the bare wire is bonded to the CT cabinet, and also to the main disconnect switch enclosure. So there is presently no grounded conductor installed. The load does not require a grounded conductor, (neutral) but the NEC codebook does.

    Is there a way to make this legal without pulling another wire? For example: take the bare #4, land it in the CT as if it were the grounded conductor, (230.41) then bond the can, continue into the disconnect, land it on a neutral bar kit and bond the enclosure. I know you can use a bare wire for the grounded conductor, but then should it have white or gray tape to identify it as the grounded conductor?

    Thanks guys.
    I am assuming this is a 480/277 grounded Y service? If you have no line to neutral load then the grounded conductor must be sized per Table 250.102(C)(1) as a minimum. Your #4 meets that requirement. 230.41 allows the use of a bare grounded conductor. Assuming you have all the metallic parts on the line side of the disconnect bonded per 250.92 to the this bare grounded conductor I don't see an issue here.
    As for taping it white at the terminations, that would be the correct thing in my view.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    37,543
    Quote Originally Posted by texie View Post
    I am assuming this is a 480/277 grounded Y service? If you have no line to neutral load then the grounded conductor must be sized per Table 250.102(C)(1) as a minimum. Your #4 meets that requirement. 230.41 allows the use of a bare grounded conductor. Assuming you have all the metallic parts on the line side of the disconnect bonded per 250.92 to the this bare grounded conductor I don't see an issue here.
    As for taping it white at the terminations, that would be the correct thing in my view.
    I have never seen anyone put white tape on the bare grounded conductor when using SE cable as service conductors. I suppose some inspectors would want to see white tape though.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    9,819
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I have never seen anyone put white tape on the bare grounded conductor when using SE cable as service conductors. I suppose some inspectors would want to see white tape though.
    I would never have thought of taping it white. Never.
    Tom
    TBLO

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25,615
    I see no reason to put white tape on a bare grounded conductors.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    37,543
    Take a look at 200.6

    both subsections A and B start out with "An insulated grounded conductor"
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •