Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Receptacle

Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    1. Food processor is Robot Coupe CL50 Gourmet.

2. Blender is Vitamix 62826.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    I got confused. I have nema 5-15p thats the power cord plug nema rating from the equipment not recptacle rating. Can that power cord plug be connected to 20 amps duplex receptacle with 20 amp branch circuit? Or its just best to provide 15 amps receptacle with 15 amps branch circuit breaker?

Last edited by codequestion; 06-11-18 at 12:56 AM.

I got confused. I have nema 5-15p thats the power cord plug nema rating from the equipment not recptacle rating. Can that power cord plug be connected to 20 amps duplex receptacle with 20 amp branch circuit? Or its just best to provide 15 amps receptacle with 15 amps branch circuit breaker?

In general there is no harm in connecting an appliance with a 15A plug end to a 20A receptacle on a 20 A circuit.They designed the 20A receptacle to compatibly accept 15A plugs for a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    I would put all 20A receptacles as they are better built, IMO.
    If you compare 15 and 20 amp receptacles of the same series from the same manufacturer, you will find that internally they are identical. The only physical difference is the T slot in the face. The internal conductive parts of the 15 amp will accept the 20 amp plug.
    Don, Illinois
    Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity. Dr. Rick Rigsby
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

You can use either a 15 or 20 amp circuit for either piece of equipment. A 5 - 20 receptacle accepts a 5-15 plug.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    You can use either a 15 or 20 amp circuit for either piece of equipment. A 5 - 20 receptacle accepts a 5-15 plug.
    Lets say I installed 20 amps feeder circuit breaker thats feeds more than one duplex receptacles. Each duplex recptacles recptacle is nema 5-20R rated. Now in one receptacle lets say I plug in device with nema 5-15p plug and their is a fault greater than 15a but less than 20a at the device. Feeder breaker will never trip. Will not the nema 15p plug burn out or cause fire hazard?

Lets say I installed 20 amps feeder circuit breaker thats feeds more than one duplex receptacles. Each duplex recptacles recptacle is nema 5-20R rated. Now in one receptacle lets say I plug in device with nema 5-15p plug and their is a fault greater than 15a but less than 20a at the device. Feeder breaker will never trip. Will not the nema 15p plug burn out or cause fire hazard?
    You need to work on the terminology so we know what you're talking about. It's not a feeder circuit breaker it's a branch circuit, a feeder is something different.

The device has a 15 amp plug so it can be used on a 15 amp branch circuit, when it's on a 20 amp branch circuit (which is also permitted) how would there be a fault greater than 15 amps but less than 20 amps?
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    You need to work on the terminology so we know what you're talking about. It's not a feeder circuit breaker it's a branch circuit, a feeder is something different.

The device has a 15 amp plug so it can be used on a 15 amp branch circuit, when it's on a 20 amp branch circuit (which is also permitted) how would there be a fault greater than 15 amps but less than 20 amps?
    I dont know how or even possible but if their is such a fault or current drawn somehow or if even possible then it can cause fire hazard. No? Is it possible?

I dont know how or even possible but if their is such a fault or current drawn somehow or if even possible then it can cause fire hazard. No? Is it possible?
    I won't say that it's impossible but it highly unlikely. If somehow the current on the device exceeded the rating of the power cord you could have a problem but the NEC doesn't think it will happen or they wouldn't allow the 15 amp plug on a 20 amp circuit.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    I won't say that it's impossible but it highly unlikely. If somehow the current on the device exceeded the rating of the power cord you could have a problem but the NEC doesn't think it will happen or they wouldn't allow the 15 amp plug on a 20 amp circuit.
    Scenario may have been overlooked by NEC? Revision to the NEC 2020 or 2017 if still possible?

Last edited by codequestion; 06-12-18 at 08:03 PM.

Scenario may have been overlooked by NEC? Revision to the NEC 2020 or 2017 if still possible?

You would have to submit a PI for the 2023 code. They will be due in early September or 2020.
    Don, Illinois
    Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity. Dr. Rick Rigsby
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)