0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    We should probably not allow the following then:

1. Feeder taps
    2. Sum of breaker ratings to exceed panel supply
    3. MLO service panelboards
    4. Ampacity of SEC sized to load where there are multiple mains.
    5. Duplex receptacles
    6. The higher protection allowances for motors and transformers.
    7. The list goes on.....
    They should give reason as to why the receptacle code would be allowd if Pl is issued besides say it practical no?
    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    My house checked every duplex receptacle. Duplex Nema 5-15R has 15 amps breaker. Not single one has 20 amps breaker. What about that? Why wasnt 20 amps breaker installed then?

Your small appliance branch circuits, the laundry, depending on how old the bath and now (at least part of) garage should have had 20 amp breakers. All those can use 15 amp receptacles though unless it is a single outlet on an individual 20A branch circuit.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Your small appliance branch circuits, the laundry, depending on how old the bath and now (at least part of) garage should have had 20 amp breakers. All those can use 15 amp receptacles though unless it is a single outlet on an individual 20A branch circuit.
    Laudry machine washer draws 10 amps on nema 5-15R with 15 amps breaker. Garage receptacle is 15 amps with 15 amps breaker including kitchen. Now the dry has different receptacle configuratuon not nema 5-15R or 20R but thats on 20 amps breaker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laudry machine washer draws 10 amps on nema 5-15R with 15 amps breaker. Garage receptacle is 15 amps with 15 amps breaker including kitchen. Now the dry has different receptacle configuratuon not nema 5-15R or 20R but thats on 20 amps breaker.

I'm not debating what you do have just was telling you what you should have had if it complied with code when installed. Garage thing is recent, bath receptacles - around 20 years now have required to be on 20 amp circuit. SABC's and laundry on 20 a circuit go back to before I was doing this trade, laundry may have been later on but I think the SABC's go back to before most of any of us were in the trade.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is the cord and plug nema 5-15p of kitchen equipment protected if you install 20 amps breaker and 20 or 15 amp receptacle in commercial kitchen and somehow more than 15 amps but less than 20 amps current is drawn? Fire hazard in long run no?
    The 15 amp cord cap is on there for a reason, the manufacturer has determined that it is adequate for the load of the equipment. We've been using 15 amp cords plugged into 20 amp circuits for almost a century without problems.

You can submit a PI to the NFPA but IMO it will have no chance of being adopted because you have yet to present any real substantiation for the code change.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    The 15 amp cord cap is on there for a reason, the manufacturer has determined that it is adequate for the load of the equipment. We've been using 15 amp cords plugged into 20 amp circuits for almost a century without problems.

You can submit a PI to the NFPA but IMO it will have no chance of being adopted because you have yet to present any real substantiation for the code change.
    Whats missing from table 210.2 (B)(2) and table 210.21 (b)(3) is the plug rating. What if plug rating is added?

Whats wrong with loads less than 12 amps to be on nema 5-15R and on 15 amps breaker nema 5-15P plug, loads greater than 12 amps but less than 16 amps on 20 amps breaker but either on 15 amps or 20 amps receptacles with nema 5-20P plug?

Last edited by codequestion; 06-13-18 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Codequestion, you seem to be under the impression that the ratings of plugs and receptacles are absolute current limitations, that they operate on the verge of destruction, and any higher current will melt them. They are actually designed to carry their current without any appreciable heating.

Receptacle ratings are actually based on plugs they reject, not on the current-carrying capacity limitations of their conductive parts. Just about every receptacle of a given product line uses the same conductive parts in 15- and 20-amp sizes, and only the face-plate configuration is different
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And with that clear explanation I think we should end on a good note. Thanks for sharing everbody
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.