Thread: Generator Grounding

Generator Grounding

I have a question regarding generator grounding. Many times I have seen a ground ring with ground rods put around a generator. If the generator is NOT a separately derived system, does the ground ring and ground rods simply get connected to the equipment grounding conductor? This leads to another question, in this example, is the ground ring required.

With a non-SDS the neutral is isolated and there is generally no requirement for a connection to a GES. However, the manufacturer or designer may require some type of grounding electrode that is connected to the generator frame which is ultimately connected to the EGC with the feeder.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by DMG_1 View Post
    I have a question regarding generator grounding. Many times I have seen a ground ring with ground rods put around a generator. If the generator is NOT a separately derived system, does the ground ring and ground rods simply get connected to the equipment grounding conductor? This leads to another question, in this example, is the ground ring required.
    Installation of a ground ring is more of a common practice than a requirement - even for non-SDS generators. You’d still want to bond to the generator frame - as a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    With a non-SDS the neutral is isolated and there is generally no requirement for a connection to a GES. However, the manufacturer or designer may require some type of grounding electrode that is connected to the generator frame which is ultimately connected to the EGC with the feeder.
    250.30 (C ) 2011, 2014

im under 2008 but i think either 2011 or 2014 changed the requirement for outside transformers to all outside SDS, though in this case it is not an SDS

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Dale001289 View Post
    Installation of a ground ring is more of a common practice than a requirement - even for non-SDS generators. You’d still want to bond to the generator frame - as a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree