Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not using certain wire sizes

Not using certain wire sizes

The senior engineering staff at my job has asked us not to use #3, #2/0 and 400 mcm wire sizes when sizing the wires. I asked them for a reason why not, but they did not have a convincing answer. Any feedback from the forum would be appreciated. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by zam View Post
    The senior engineering staff at my job has asked us not to use #3, #2/0 and 400 mcm wire sizes when sizing the wires. I asked them for a reason why not, but they did not have a convincing answer. Any feedback from the forum would be appreciated. Thank you.

#3AWG and 400kCMIL, are usually not a stock item; the #2/0 is usually readily available.

Those are atypical sizes from my experience, except for #2/0 and I've never specified #400kCmil so I'm unsure of its availability. Not exactly a convincing argument, but will be following this thread for other's experiences with those conductor sizes.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    I would think NY would have a better availability than we do. 400 would be the only odd duck for us in CU.
    Tom
    TBLO

My guess would be availability from wherever they get the wire. I'm also guessing that if they are not allowing those wire sizes and you happen to need one, ordering the next size up is standard practice.

What reasons, however unsatisfactory, did they give you?
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

For us #3 AWG is a common size for 100 amps and it is readily available.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    For us #3 AWG is a common size for 100 amps and it is readily available.
    In NC it was too, now that I'm back in FL it's special order, go figure.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    In NC it was too, now that I'm back in FL it's special order, go figure.

Roger
    We do a lot of large high rise apartment buildings which typically have a 100 amp panel within the apartment. Using #3 over #2 saves some money on each apartment, multiply those savings by 700-800 and you have some nice money in your pocket.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    We do a lot of large high rise apartment buildings which typically have a 100 amp panel within the apartment. Using #3 over #2 saves some money on each apartment, multiply those savings by 700-800 and you have some nice money in your pocket.
    I agree and don't understand why it's not a stock item here. In the Asheville area you could walk into any supply house counter and buy it, large orders were never a problem either.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Dale001289 View Post
    #3AWG and 400kCMIL, are usually not a stock item; the #2/0 is usually readily available.
    yep. having said that, it is not real hard to order it but for us we normally don't use a whole lot of it at a time so it is easier just not to order stuff that is not real easy to come by. If I needed a few thousand feet of #3 it would be worth it, since it is about 25 cents a foot cheaper than #2.

For us too, there are certain sizes we almost never run across, just because it works out that way. #3 is one of those sizes. #3 is what you would use on a 60 HP 460V motor. I can't remember ever seeing a 60 HP motor. So it is better to just get #2 and not have something left laying around that we won't use up in the next 5 years.
    Last edited by petersonra; 06-11-18 at 06:01 PM.
    Bob