Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Generator Installation

  1. #1

    Generator Installation

    I have to retrofit a generator house to fit two generators however space only allows me to fit the two generators end to end and not side by side.

    Has anyone carried out an installation like this before? Are there any code restricting this?

    Both generators will be running simultaneously, is it better to face the two radiators towards each other and is tall an exhaust system or turn both generators in the same direction with an exhaust system?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    5,473
    I don't know about code
    I would face them both with the radiator out and bring cooling and combustion air in from the middle of one side and exh out the other (perhaps out the roof)

    you do not want the radiators blowing into each other
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    19,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingenieur View Post
    I don't know about code
    I would face them both with the radiator out and bring cooling and combustion air in from the middle of one side and exh out the other (perhaps out the roof)

    you do not want the radiators blowing into each other
    In specific answer to the OP's suggestion, as long as there is sufficient clearance between them for lateral air flow you can put both radiators facing each other (which does not mean blowing at each other). Provide air inlet at the center and individual cooling air exhaust at each end.
    That way the air that has been through each radiator can go on to help cool the engine directly.
    If you put the radiators at opposite ends you will need to arrange two end feeds and a center exhaust. In addition the two air streams will be opposing each other at the center, for a lot of turbulence.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    5,473
    this may help
    pg 17
    http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Ca...13-53120-44971

    for engine mntd cooling the fans pull cool air over the engine and alternator and blow thru the radiator
    the cool intake air also provides the combustion air
    blowing hot air into the room and over the engine and alt is probably not a good idea
    Last edited by Ingenieur; 06-11-18 at 06:56 PM.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    19,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingenieur View Post
    this may help
    pg 17
    http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Ca...13-53120-44971

    for engine mntd cooling the fans pull cool air over the engine and alternator and blow thru the radiator
    the cool intake air also provides the combustion air
    blowing hot air into the room and over the engine and alt is probably not a good idea
    Thanks, I did not realize that was the air flow direction. Vehicle mounted engines mainly use the opposite flow because of the availability of ram effect air while the vehicle is moving, I guess.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    5,473
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Thanks, I did not realize that was the air flow direction. Vehicle mounted engines mainly use the opposite flow because of the availability of ram effect air while the vehicle is moving, I guess.

    exactly
    and to evacuate the engine compartment heat
    and aero reasons
    plus drawing air in from the relatively sealed engine compartment and out the front would need a healthy fan

    smart fans on newer cars actually shutdown at times to conserve fuel
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Frisco Texas U.S.A.
    Posts
    15
    Assuming the air outlets are facing each other, I've seen the use of upward draft directional housings or addons. With drains and protective grates.

    If in or near a residential area, there could be sound attenuation required.

    Proper fin spacing on radiators if ordering new generators, should be considered.

    Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    5,473
    I would set them alternator to alternator (radiators on the outside wall) and exhaust over the radiator like shown in the figure in the link
    I would bring in air from the center of the space (I would have 2 inlets w/auto dampers, each sized for 1 gen, cooling AND combustion air, and interlocked) I would duct it to sweep over the alternator and engine and out the radiator
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •