User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: What is this feeder tap

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What is this feeder tap

    I have service switchboard that has main breaker. The switchboard's main breaker load side feeder breaker has feeder cables feeding trough with bus in same room. The bus then has two taps. Both to two disconnect which feeds two different tenant space out of the room


    I know feeder cables from swbd fdr bkr to trough are feeders. Would taps in trough be called the feeder taps? If not then what its called?

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by codequestion; 06-11-18 at 09:17 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    26,339
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If these are on the line side of the service disconnect(s) they are service entrance conductors not taps.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    If these are on the line side of the service disconnect(s) they are service entrance conductors not taps.
    They are in load side of the service.

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    16,996
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    I have service switchboard that has main breaker. The switchboard's main breaker load side feeder breaker has feeder cables feeding trough with bus in same room. The bus then has two taps. Both to two disconnect which feeds two different tenant space out of the room


    I know feeder cables from swbd fdr bkr to trough are feeders. Would taps in trough be called the feeder taps? If not then what its called?

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    Unless the cables feeding the bus in the trough are big enough to be protected by the main breaker, I would call this a code violation.
    Bob

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    Unless the cables feeding the bus in the trough are big enough to be protected by the main breaker, I would call this a code violation.
    No no they are. Feeder cables and the bus are big enough to be protected by the switchboard feeder breaker.

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cherry Valley NY, Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    I have service switchboard that has main breaker. The switchboard's main breaker load side feeder breaker has feeder cables feeding trough with bus in same room. The bus then has two taps. Both to two disconnect which feeds two different tenant space out of the room


    I know feeder cables from swbd fdr bkr to trough are feeders. Would taps in trough be called the feeder taps? If not then what its called?

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    Yes, they would be feeder taps
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

    "You can't generalize"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    Yes, they would be feeder taps
    But the feeder cables terminate at the bus still call the two taps for tenant space disconnects feeder taps?

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    26,339
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    No no they are. Feeder cables and the bus are big enough to be protected by the switchboard feeder breaker.
    Then there is no tap, what you have is a splice.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cherry Valley NY, Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Details are sketchy, but sounded like there were taps coming off the feeder bus. Not sure what the bussed thing is, if it's one of those "bussed gutters" or a busway, but either way sounds like it's being used as a feeder.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

    "You can't generalize"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    38,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    But the feeder cables terminate at the bus still call the two taps for tenant space disconnects feeder taps?

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    The bus itself is a feeder, presuming it has current carrying capacity no less then the overcurrent device protecting it.

    Any conductors that attach to it are just extensions of the feeder if they have an ampacity equal or greater then the overcurrent protection ahead of them. If they have ampacity less then the overcurrent protection ahead of them then they are feeder taps.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •