Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scaffolding vs. Lift

Scaffolding vs. Lift

When would one use/work off scaffold instead of lift? Thx

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    1. Lift won’t go in the door.
    2. Short job inside a finished area with little or no movement once in place.

We can usually find a lift of some sort that will go thru a door but protecting the flooring as it goes to that one room is a concern.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post

Are you referring to outside or inside? The basic answer would have to be when a scaffold is cheaper that a lift. When labor costs are included.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

I have a job coming up to replace 400 watt HID's in a gymnasium with LED's. Scissor lift would be really nice. They won't let me bring one in there unless I lay 3/4 plywood on the floor to run it on. Doesn't seem worth it compared to just using scaffolding that they will let me roll on the floor as long as wheels are in good condition and won't damage the floor. They will have a thin protective cover on the floor either way, but already have this and use it whenever there is other then athletic activities happening on that floor.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post

the answer is simple.

use what is cost effective and/or practical.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I have a job coming up to replace 400 watt HID's in a gymnasium with LED's. Scissor lift would be really nice. They won't let me bring one in there unless I lay 3/4 plywood on the floor to run it on. Doesn't seem worth it compared to just using scaffolding that they will let me roll on the floor as long as wheels are in good condition and won't damage the floor. They will have a thin protective cover on the floor either way, but already have this and use it whenever there is other then athletic activities happening on that floor.
    I have found that it isn't that big of a deal to move 4 x 8 sheets around. I would seriously question 3/4" plywood and explain it is actually more likely to hurt the floor in the event of mishandling and 3/8" masonite will hold up to the wheels of a lift all day long. I would be concerned about the scaffold, because what is described sounds like there is still potential for damage to the floor and who will be nailed for that. With the lift it is likely you just have a helper on the ground to box and unbox and to move the sheets of masonite as needed.

And I did some repair on a warranty basis recently.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Finding a rental scaffold with good Wheels is going to be about as difficult as maneuvering sheets of plywood on the floor if they don't scratch the surface... I would think it would be almost impossible to turn a manlift on top of plywood without the plywood pivoting under the tires and scratching the floor.. then again, most gyms have pull-out bleachers and those wheels have quite a bit of weight on them and they do not damage the floor.

Given that you're going to burn extra time safely moving either, I would rather have the time advantage of a lift in your case. Your helpers on the ground can move plywood in between unboxing new fixtures and taking old ones out
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Finding a rental scaffold with good Wheels is going to be about as difficult as maneuvering sheets of plywood on the floor if they don't scratch the surface... I would think it would be almost impossible to turn a manlift on top of plywood without the plywood pivoting under the tires and scratching the floor.. then again, most gyms have pull-out bleachers and those wheels have quite a bit of weight on them and they do not damage the floor.

Given that you're going to burn extra time safely moving either, I would rather have the time advantage of a lift in your case. Your helpers on the ground can move plywood in between unboxing new fixtures and taking old ones out

Not quite sure what you mean about plywood pivoting. I know that it isn't an issue with 3/8" masonite. Personal experience and recent. Within the last year.

Visited one very nice lobby where even with plywood, the lift cracked the very expensive tiled floor.
    Front end cost isn't the real issue, but back end liability. New scaffold wheels are cheap in the long run.
    It's my name going on that drawing, not yours. If what you want ain't right, it ain't going on the drawings!

Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean about plywood pivoting. I know that it isn't an issue with 3/8" masonite. Personal experience and recent. Within the last year.
    I was referring to the plywood turning with the wheels versus staying in place, I.e. the friction between the tires and plywood is greater than the friction between the plywood and the floor, however if it wasn't an issue, then I would not worry about it.

As far as a tiled floor cracking, that is why we had to use one of those combination A-frame extension ladders to do the sound system in a hotel lobby... They would not let us put a lift on it, and I am sure a lift would have cracked tiles... I took one of my glow rods and dropped it in various places on the floor... If it makes a thud sound, the tile was mortared correctly... If it makes a ringing sound like tapping a dinner plate, you can bet that tile will break under weight.
    N/A for a gymnasium but a handy little piece of information should you ever want to check the Integrity of a tile floor
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!