Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recurring issues with welders

What's the temperature, humidity and airborne dirt level in your shop? I see you're in south Texas, maybe your circuit boards need more airflow—bigger fans & filters, or more-frequent filter cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by drcampbell View Post
    What's the temperature, humidity and airborne dirt level in your shop? I see you're in south Texas, maybe your circuit boards need more airflow—bigger fans & filters, or more-frequent filter cleaning.
    Dirt/ dust level: high
    Temperature: always hot (Houston)
    Humidity: air consistency about the equivalent of yogurt
    These issues are year round though. Even in milder winter climates.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shaneyj; 06-12-18 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Incomplete

Hobarts(ITW) and Lincoln's?

Are the TIG units inverters or transformers?

Are they welding DC or AC or both?

Try introducing a ESAB or Everlast unit to the mix, see if the problem reaches across to these other makers.

Perhaps also scope the EGC of the ckt's while welding is in use to see if there are any odd harmonics on them. harmonics could (could) cause havoc to other equipment

Quote Originally Posted by FionaZuppa View Post
    Hobarts(ITW) and Lincoln's?

Are the TIG units inverters or transformers?

Are they welding DC or AC or both?

Try introducing a ESAB or Everlast unit to the mix, see if the problem reaches across to these other makers.

Perhaps also scope the EGC of the ckt's while welding is in use to see if there are any odd harmonics on them. harmonics could (could) cause havoc to other equipment
    Miller's and Lincoln's.
    Tigs are inverter.
    Not sure AC or DC.
    I've heard that high frequency harmonics can destroy circuit boards, and these frequencies can be injected from one machine to a other via ground.
    Our welders ground to their respective pieces while welding. No common ground point from one work piece to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneyj View Post
    Miller's and Lincoln's.
    Tigs are inverter.
    Not sure AC or DC.
    I've heard that high frequency harmonics can destroy circuit boards, and these frequencies can be injected from one machine to a other via ground.
    Our welders ground to their respective pieces while welding. No common ground point from one work piece to the next.

You might try adding an inline inductor to the EGC near/at the receptacle that each machine uses. Or use a hefty ferrite ring wrapped many times with appropriate sized wire. If it's hard wired gear then its a tad more of a challenge.

Perhaps ground loop (common mode) currents are being generated when certain combo of gear is being used at the same time.

I would attempt to find ground loop currents on egc, and, scope the egc with FFT function to see what harmonics are being produced.

MIG and TIG are all sorts of noisy due to arc and frequency overlay. How are the TIG units being used, DCEN or DCEP ?? Are the pieces being welded on a table? Many times metal tables are "connected" to egc via GES as the metal tables are tied into the concrete floor. Using isolation pads may help if tables are being used. Heavy metal parts just on the concrete floor can also make the connection, so even using a welding blanket under the metal parts can help keep it isolated from the concrete (or some other form of isolation pad).

see https://www.aticourses.com/sampler/I...seSamplerR.pdf
    and http://web.mit.edu/jhawk/tmp/p/EST01...ps_handout.pdf
    Last edited by FionaZuppa; 06-14-18 at 10:03 AM.