Not open for further replies.

Onsite_energy

edc5911937086d6ed91b7123ec1209ad.jpg
what does it all stand for

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
PT is Potential Transformer. A transformer used to give an isolated voltage output which is proportional to the voltage input up to some specified maximum voltage. The transformer is not intended to supply power. The CT near it stands for Current Transformer, used to step down the current so that it can be measured or used for power metering.

The N R S T labeling on the generator output is N for Neutral and R,S,T instead of A,B,C or X,Y,Z for the three phase output terminals in a wye configuration.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
PT is Potential Transformer. A transformer used to give an isolated voltage output which is proportional to the voltage input up to some specified maximum voltage. The transformer is not intended to supply power. The CT near it stands for Current Transformer, used to step down the current so that it can be measured or used for power metering.

The N R S T labeling on the generator output is N for Neutral and R,S,T instead of A,B,C or X,Y,Z for the three phase output terminals in a wye configuration.
And Ext. VR would mean "External Variable Resistor".

Which GoldDigger would correct to mean "Potentiometer", since that is what they are actually depicting on the drawing... :p

Onsite_energy

Do I just loop the pt? Or leave it open? All I have going to this is the main fields and the brushes witch should just use xx&x and P2&P3 go to the main stator N and T correct? I looped the evr cause it has one built in .... Normally I don't put this fancy looking in I'd appreciate any corrections and help

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Do I just loop the pt? Or leave it open? All I have going to this is the main fields and the brushes witch should just use xx&x and P2&P3 go to the main stator N and T correct? I looped the evr cause it has one built in .... Normally I don't put this fancy looking in I'd appreciate any corrections and help
As far as I know you cannot leave out the PT connection since that is where the card gets the information on what the output voltage is so that it can regulate it.
And I would definitely not try to bypass the PT since we have no idea what voltage the card is expecting to see on those terminals or how it is ground referenced.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Possibly used in Europe too, I believe.

In IEC world (basically everywhere except North America), phase marking standards are U, V, W, to be the equivalent of A, B, C or L1, L2, L3 for us. But a long time ago, the British Standard (BS) in use in all of the Commonwealth Nations, was R, S, T for the same thing. Germans had DIN standards, French had CENELEC standards, etc. etc. but when they all "unified" into what is now IEC standards, they went with the U, V, W convention because that's what the Germans and French used. X, Y Z is only used when you have multiple leads that are brought into a connection, like in a motor or generator winding pattern, where you have more than 3 leads.

China, having FORMERLY been a Commonwealth nation, never got the memo because they had cut themselves off from the world for a long time. Their people don't know what to use, but mostly they are copying things they see elsewhere and if what they are copying was old, they end up using old standards and naming conventions. I've seen that a lot. Nobody is still using R, S, T any more for new equipment except them.

Tony S

R, S, T is usually the secondary of a device fed by U, V, W.

A, B, C – D, E, F.

A, B, C – a, b, c.

A1, B1, C1 – a2, b2, c2.

L1, L2, L3 – l1, l2, l3.

I just wish someone would make their mind up!

Carultch

Not that it matters, but I'd like to inform you of what the word acronymn actually means.

A string of letters used to abbreviate the initial of each word is in general known as an INITIALISM, not necessarily an acronymn.
An ACRONYMN in specific, means that you use the initials to make a pronounceable word, whether it is a real existing word, a new word made up as an acronymn, or a nonsense word.

So a term like SCUBA is an acronym, but a term like NFL is an initialism.

Status
Not open for further replies.