Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4160 Delta Secondary Grounded or Ungrounded

In years gone past, I used to recommend that delta secondaries be ungrounded when they feed a single circuit and corner-grounded when they feed multiple circuits.

What are you planning to do for a ground detection scheme? Will you have any protective relaying on the 4160V?
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Quote Originally Posted by jim dungar View Post
    In years gone past, I used to recommend that delta secondaries be ungrounded when they feed a single circuit and corner-grounded when they feed multiple circuits.

What are you planning to do for a ground detection scheme? Will you have any protective relaying on the 4160V?
    The 4160 secondary feeds a fused disconnect and as far as I can see that's it. Is ground detection required?
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    The 4160 secondary feeds a fused disconnect and as far as I can see that's it. Is ground detection required?
    250.21(B) only requires ground detection for systems operating at 1000 volts or less. I don't see anything in Part X of 250 requiring ground detection for the higher voltage systems.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    250.21(B) only requires ground detection for systems operating at 1000 volts or less. I don't see anything in Part X of 250 requiring ground detection for the higher voltage systems.
    That's what I thought as well, seems to be a design issue not a code issue
    Rob

That's what I thought as well, seems to be a design issue not a code issue
    You are correct, this is a design choice.

One I did like this was for a Scout camp, the MV was run through the woods (buried) and across a river. With all of the 'critters' out there we were concerned a ground fault would not be noticed until it was catastrophic.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

This came up the other day because someone asked me about running GEC's for these step-up transformers. When I took a closer look at the set up I realized that this was designed as an ungrounded system which yielded some strange looks. Sometimes electricians cannot understand how a system could be installed that is not grounded especially at 4160 volts.
    Rob

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    .... Sometimes electricians cannot understand how a system could be installed that is not grounded especially at 4160 volts.
    How does it work without a ground? has to be in the top five questions of all time. I can understand common folk asking that, but electricians should know better.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

This came up the other day because someone asked me about running GEC's for these step-up transformers. When I took a closer look at the set up I realized that this was designed as an ungrounded system which yielded some strange looks. Sometimes electricians cannot understand how a system could be installed that is not grounded especially at 4160 volts.
    Even though you arent grounding a conductor of the system, Dont you still need a GEC for the metal parts?
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    Even though you arent grounding a conductor of the system, Dont you still need a GEC for the metal parts?
    For the step-ups the metal parts are connected to the EGC in the feeder which is anywhere from 5-8 sets of 4" EMT feeding the 208 volt primary. I would guess that if one phase of the 4160 were to fault to ground the system would still operated as a corner grounded system. For the step-downs the 208Y/120 secondary would be wired like a typical transformer with a EGC, GEC, SBJ and SSBJ.
    Rob

I think the grounding electrode system and GECs are required. The only real difference between the rules for a grounded and ungrounded transformer is that the ungrounded one does not have a system bonding jumper.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)