Thread: Electric room

Electric room

I have 75kva transformer ceiling hung in electric room. To comply nec 450.13. Do electric rooms have suspended ceilings or just structural ceilings?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

I know you cant install it in hallow space or closed space but electric room they dont have hallow or closed space right? They just have structural ceiling, nothing closed no?

Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    I know you cant install it in hallow space or closed space but electric room they dont have hallow or closed space right? They just have structural ceiling, nothing closed no?

When you say "Structural ceiling", I'm assuming you mean its above the transformer. That should be fine.

In other words, if you can look up and see the transformer, then yes, it should be fine.

If you look up and see the ceiling, and the transformer is above that, then its a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    When you say "Structural ceiling", I'm assuming you mean its above the transformer. That should be fine.

In other words, if you can look up and see the transformer, then yes, it should be fine.

If you look up and see the ceiling, and the transformer is above that, then its a problem.
    Every electrical I went to only had structural ceiling. Did not see any susoended ceiling.

The question is the following: in an electrical room is their only structural ceiling? Thats how electrical rooms are built in the USA?

Last edited by codequestion; 06-14-18 at 06:02 PM.

The question is the following: in an electrical room is their only structural ceiling? Thats how electrical rooms are built in the USA?

In the US there is no one way to construct an electrical room. The NEC is silent on the issue of ceilings as far as types permitted. I will say that I can't remember the last time I was in an electrical room that had any kind of drop ceiling or inaccessible ceiling space in which wire, cable, or raceway were run.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    In the US there is no one way to construct an electrical room. The NEC is silent on the issue of ceilings as far as types permitted. I will say that I can't remember the last time I was in an electrical room that had any kind of drop ceiling or inaccessible ceiling space in which wire, cable, or raceway were run.
    Maybe a PI inregards to types of ceiling permitted electrical room or who cares about that?

Maybe a PI inregards to types of ceiling permitted electrical room or who cares about that?

What is "PI" in this context?

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    What is "PI" in this context?
    Maybe its already industry standard being overlooked by NEC. Request NEC to put tyoes of ceiling permitted in an electrical room.

Request NEC to put tyoes of ceiling permitted in an electrical room.

Is there a safety reason for this? The NEC isn't intended to be a design manual (or so they say). Unless you think there is an electrical safety issue involved I don't see a need for any intervention on the topic. Whether it's a metal deck with concrete on top, a wood joist ceiling, or a concrete waffle slab I don't see why the NEC should care.